Need to take bark off of perches?

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
I cut off a couple of branches that will make great perches. Almost all perches I have seen have had the bark removed. Is there a reason that bark is removed?

Also, how should I disinfect the branches before I put them in the cage?

Thanks,
Tom

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Removing the bark helps remove any molds, fungus, etc that may be on the branches. It is not a reliable way to remove pesticides, however, and treated trees need to be avoided. I think it is also done for durability, and visual appeal.

That being said I have perches with the bark on; I thoroughly washed them with a bleach and water solution, rinsed them, and then 'baked' them in the oven to kill any remaining nasties. You'd clean debarked branches the same way. The baking in the oven is perhaps overkill, but I figure better safe than sorry.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Removing the bark should be the birds' job, not yours. Why have natural perches if the birds cannot enjoy them thoroughly?

christinereed

Mar 13, 2013
Media
Ohio
Parrots
Emily, dbl yellow Amazon
I tried to leave the bark on, but in the process of washing the perch, the bark started to come off, so I took it off.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
This was a great question. I just got some branches to use as perches the other day and was wondering the same thing. Thanks for bringing this up! :D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I leave the bark on very healthy branches, but on dryer branches I always remove the bark and bake it because they tend to have bugs and stuff hiding in here.

Most Reactions