Help Deciding what kind of Parrot to get

Ripkabird98

Nov 20, 2012
I need help deciding what kind of Parrot to get. I already have several as you can see.

I am wanting a Cuddly bird that isn't hyper all of the time. My IRN can't sit still for his life. My Cockatiels like to be WITH me, but not touched. My CAG was beaten and everything, so he likes to sit on our lap, be kissed, but thats it. My Parakeets.... well.. they are Parakeets.

I want one that is largER. I used to have a GCC and we were Inseparable. A tragedy happened, and he is no longer with us. I want his cuddly attitude in a larger bird. I always felt so dangerous to him. But I don't want something as huge as, say, a Mollucan Cockatoo.

Noise matters to an EXTENT. My CAG screams and shrills, and I HAVE heard an angry Cockatoo. I don't want something along the lines of "Holy crap my ears are bleeding", but I can take Moderate noise, and for sure even the lower end of noisy.

Suggestions?

I currently have One Indian Ringneck Parakeet, 2 parakeets, 3 cockatiels, and a Congo African Grey. I am thinking a Cockatoo would be a good fit. Just not a Mollucan or Umbrella. Besides those, what are the most Cuddly in your guys opinion? And yes, I have handled Macaws, Cockatoos, and Amazons and I KNOW that I can deal with one. ;)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the forum:)

If you are looking for a cuddly Bird then I dont think any type of Cockatoo is what you could call cuddly... They are quite hyper Birds.

How about an Amazon? They do like their cuddles, but, they can be a bit on the noisy side!

OP
R

Ripkabird98

Nov 20, 2012
Noise isn't really MUCH of an issue. I just don't want something as noisy as a Scarlet Macaw.

Cockatoos are quite cuddly though.... The "Velcro Birds". How noisy is an Umbrella REALLY?

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Noise isn't really MUCH of an issue. I just don't want something as noisy as a Scarlet Macaw.

Cockatoos are quite cuddly though.... The "Velcro Birds". How noisy is an Umbrella REALLY?

Well, I went into our local Pet Centre the other day and they had an Umbrella in there... It suddenly started Squawking and I have to say, that I have never in my life heard anything quite like it :11:

All I can say is, my Eardrums were ringing for about an hour afterwards :(

I dont think 2 Amazons together, screaming to their full potential could have topped that noise :eek: lol

OP
R

Ripkabird98

Nov 20, 2012
Woah... yeah... ok, no.

What is a QUIETER Cockatoo species that still loves to Cuddle? I know Galahs are more quiet, but have heard they aren't cuddly at all, etc etc. I am looking for a Quieter, cuddly 'Too

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
I have heard that Galahs are cuddlebugs. A galah owner might give you more info, I have never owned one before.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Galahs are cuddlely , but I don't know much on the subject. Where is finch breeder ? Lol

Dharmawaits

Oct 6, 2012
Parrots
The great Peapod a Parrotlet
LOL you should hear about 10 Macaws and five Cockatoos sound off. By now I have to have lost some hearing.

Can I ask why cuddling is so important? I think you'll be hard pressed to find any bird that just wants to cuddle and I guarantee you there will be days and months that they certainly will not want to cuddle. I am constantly surprised with the, "I want a bird to cuddle." I guess it was just me that equated beak= not the cuddliest animal in the world.

With that said, I think a conure is your best bet. I volunteer in a shelter with a butt ton of ex cuddly cockatoo's yet a lot of the conures even after years of no attention and sometimes abuse still manage to forgive us enough to still want to be close to us. Besides you ever heard a sun conure say, " tickle, tickle." We wouldn't even be having this convo. If you had. :)

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I want one that is largER. I used to have a GCC and we were Inseparable. A tragedy happened, and he is no longer with us. I want his cuddly attitude in a larger bird. I always felt so dangerous to him. But I don't want something as huge as, say, a Mollucan Cockatoo.

This is exactly the way I feel about conures. Love them to pieces but their small size is a draw back. If you are like me in this way, a galah or corella will suit you perfectly. They are very much like a GCC, only larger and more robust. No cockatoo will cuddle into your neck and try to be IN your skin as much as a GCC does LOL thats really unique to them :) But they are exactly the way you would imagine a GCC would be if it was large. A bit slower, a bit less attention demanding but a heck of a lot more destructive. But cockatoos play the way GCC do, they will try to get into your shirt occasionally like a GCC does, they use you as a play gym like a GCC does, they love head scratches just like a GCC, will roll on their backs like a GCC and like to roughhouse like a GCC... you just need to be aware their beaks are larger and cause more damage.

I would recommend a galah. Keep in mind... they are loud. Not big cockatoo loud, but loud. They have a completely unique call to them, like a high pitched donkey. Go check out youtube to get a good feel for their noise. They dont do it often, but if they do it on your shoulder your ears will be ringing :p If you loved your little GCC but were worried about his size, a galah or large lori would suit you :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts