Help! Female laying (sleeping) on bottom of cage

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I personally prefer to do it fresh so we go to the store couple times a week to pickup fresh fruits and veggies.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Here's what we feed on a daily basis, celery, broccoli, cucumber, those different colored mini peppers, green beans, carrots, banana, kiwi, orange, apple, strawberry, etc. Then we add other things into it when it's in season.

We do not feed avocado, onions, iceberg lettuce, and the core of fruits such as apple.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Well that takes time to build trust! It doesn't just happen like when you want them to. It can happen over night but that just depends on each individual bird on how comfortable they are with their person. Just be patient and go through the training process with him.

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Raja is with the vet. More tests being run as her blood work showed her liver is shutting down and signs of anemia. My poor girl. She's just a baby. And now I have to worry about Jack because she thinks whatever it is is probably contagious. Where would they have picked it up? Toys? The breeder and she's just showing symptoms now? I have so many questions but I'm at work till 3.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm sorry to hear about Raja....how long have you had her?

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
I've had her only three months. She's still just a baby :(

Just got back from the vet to see her. She's started doxycycline and a broad spectrum antibiotic. She was also given something to help her liver function and excrete the toxins.

When the vet pulled back the curtain in her little isolation cage she was angry (which I thought was a good sign). I was able to talk to her a bit and I hope I comforted her some. I also gave my permission for DNR orders in case something happens when I'm not there. Ugh.

We're waiting on a chlamydia test to come back tomorrow. If it's positive I'll have to treat Jack too. I'm confused about it though--I'll always have "chlamydia positive" birds who could possibly shed the bacteria? Or the doxy will eliminate the bacteria all together? I'm wondering if anyone has experience.

The vet is so so wonderful. She's in on her day off to care for raja. She brought her blueberries and herbs from her own fridge.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
If it is a stubborn case it could come back or if she got it from her environment and things are the same she will get it again.

One bird can pass it to another by feeding each other or eating out of the same bowl. If I remember you had the male and female in the same cage? Chances are very good your male has it as well.

Found this....
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chlamydia psittaci - also referred to as Psittacosis, Parrot Fever or chlamydiosis. The word Psittacosis comes from the Greek word Psittakos, meaning parrot. Chlamydia are gram negative, spherical, (0.4-0.6 micron diameter), intracellular parasites that people sometimes referred to as "energy parasites" because they use ATP (a crucial energy containing metabolite) produced by the host cell, hence, the term "energy parasites. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Incubation periods in caged birds vary from days to weeks and longer. Most commonly this period is approximately 3 to 10 days. Latent infections are common and active disease may occur several years after exposure. The incubation period of this disease is however difficult to assess due to these chronically infected birds that develop persistent, asymptomatic infections.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In birds, C. psittaci may manifest itself as an upper respiratory infection with nasal, and or ocular discharge, diarrhea, or a combination of all three. In some cases, birds may be infected but show no signs. These cases are of concern because these birds may become carriers and shed the organism. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A major concern with C. psittaci is the zoonotic potential of the organism. A zoonotic disease is an infection which can be transmitted from animals to humans. [/FONT]

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Did you have her checked out by a vet from the time you got her from the breeder? Was the breeder using outdoor aviary?

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Found this....
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chlamydia psittaci - also referred to as Psittacosis, Parrot Fever or chlamydiosis. The word Psittacosis comes from the Greek word Psittakos, meaning parrot. Chlamydia are gram negative, spherical, (0.4-0.6 micron diameter), intracellular parasites that people sometimes referred to as "energy parasites" because they use ATP (a crucial energy containing metabolite) produced by the host cell, hence, the term "energy parasites. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Incubation periods in caged birds vary from days to weeks and longer. Most commonly this period is approximately 3 to 10 days. Latent infections are common and active disease may occur several years after exposure. The incubation period of this disease is however difficult to assess due to these chronically infected birds that develop persistent, asymptomatic infections.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In birds, C. psittaci may manifest itself as an upper respiratory infection with nasal, and or ocular discharge, diarrhea, or a combination of all three. In some cases, birds may be infected but show no signs. These cases are of concern because these birds may become carriers and shed the organism. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A major concern with C. psittaci is the zoonotic potential of the organism. A zoonotic disease is an infection which can be transmitted from animals to humans. [/FONT]

So if the doxycycline doesn't kill all of the bacteria it gives the remaining bacteria a chance to proliferate again if her immune system is compromised again somehow. I'm wondering what the chances of that are. My local bird store owner told me just to put her down because she'd be a sick bird all of her life. While in the moment I thought it was insensitive, maybe there's some truth to it.

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Did you have her checked out by a vet from the time you got her from the breeder? Was the breeder using outdoor aviary?

No indoor aviary and no she said her birds are all healthy and actually said I didn't need to take them to a vet but if I wanted to I could. Naive party of one, I know. Although maybe this will be her first sick bird. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt because I know she loves her birds.

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
My beautiful girl
IMG_30729346767662_zpsfyus8xvf.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts