Help! Female laying (sleeping) on bottom of cage

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
So sorry. Very hopeful it is nothing contagious so you don't have to go through it with your boy.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Oh I'm sorry I thought I read the whole thread and didn't see the update.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
So sorry. Very hopeful it is nothing contagious so you don't have to go through it with your boy.

She tested positive with psittacosis!

Actually, not yet, Michael. The vet suspected psittacosis, but as of her last post she'd not yet received the blood test results. Or at least that's the impression that I got.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

She tested positive with psittacosis!

Actually, not yet, Michael. The vet suspected psittacosis, but as of her last post she'd not yet received the blood test results. Or at least that's the impression that I got.

Your right, I think she's still waiting on the results.....oops.....

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
That was my impression as well... Blood test was supposed to be back today I thought?
Hope the other bird is still healthy.
Absolutely heart breaking

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
Thanks everyone. I spoke with the vet and she tested negative. Thank goodness! So now she's off to DC for a necropsy. She's probably already there actually and we could receive findings as early as tomorrow.

I know I should just wait until we know for sure, but I'm thinking if it's congenital I might have a battle with the breeder ahead of me.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm just glad it's not psittacosis! I hope you get some closure soon!

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
I'm just glad it's not psittacosis! I hope you get some closure soon!

Thank you, me too. I have so much guilt and anger, I hope it's a clear cause of death so I can react accordingly. Thinking about all of the possible causes is making me nuts.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I'm sure it is.....it's heart breaking for you to go through this when they're still so young. It's very unexpected and I'm sure it puts a sour taste in your mouth thinking what just happened.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
You definitely made the right choice going for the necropsy. I just went through something similar, myself, except that I lost my male ekkie and the female was the survivor.

Getting the necropsy results won't take away your pain or anything, but it does give you some closure. And given all the grief with which you are contending, taking any sense of uncertainty off of your plate does provide at least some relief.

And again, I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
You definitely made the right choice going for the necropsy. I just went through something similar, myself, except that I lost my male ekkie and the female was the survivor.

Getting the necropsy results won't take away your pain or anything, but it does give you some closure. And given all the grief with which you are contending, taking any sense of uncertainty off of your plate does provide at least some relief.

And again, I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I only had Raja for three months and was attached. I can't imagine how you're feeling :(

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Thank you so much. I'm not surprised at all that you were already attached. They do burrow their way into our hearts rather swiftly, don't they?

Most Reactions