help, how dangerous is perfume around birds???

beatles1993

Aug 1, 2015
ok so a family member dropped a bottle of perfume a foot away from my green cheeked conures cage (wasn't sprayed, just splashed all over the floor). i opened the window next to his cage immediately, can the smell harm him? thanks

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I would say it depends on if it was a cheap perfume with a lot of synthetic "smells" or a more expensive one with more natural smells. Also depends on how much was spilled.

If it was me and my birds I would move them to another room until I could get it cleaned up.

First thing I would do is saturate the area with baking soda and let sit, rub into the carpet, vacuum...repeat, repeat, repeat.

OP
B

beatles1993

Aug 1, 2015
it was ralph lauren romance for women, i took him out of the room about an hour after the incident, but the window was open for that hour

edit: like 3/4 of the bottle

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Regardless of the type of perfume - it's more the scent, and how strong it is. Birds have very delicate respiratory systems and any overpowering odor can harm them.

If your bird did not make actual contact with the perfume, then it would be safe to just move the bird to separate room until the perfume scent neutralizes. Perfume can 'linger' so wait til you can't smell it in the room before. Perhaps use an 'odor' neutralizer - like a mix of baking soda and vinegar to clean it.

Most Reactions