Help me figure out whats wrong

troublez

May 11, 2019
I work at a petstore and a breeder brought in a sick baby they say the parents kicked it out of the box an its been laying on the bottom of the cage for the past 2 days. The bird is now in my care but i dont know what to give him to help bring him back an i dont know if he is injured cause he doesnt move just lays there im not 1 to give up on any animals but the vets on my island doesn't deal with birds so i have to try...

Ps i use the tubing to keep him in a seated position an not fully flat.

Attachments

• 15576231336112144445928.jpg
    15576231336112144445928.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 123

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Does it have a sour smell to it? Especially around the beak? What does it's feces look like? Is it's crop emptying fully between feedings? Can you tell us anything more? It could be a number of things.

OP
T

troublez

May 11, 2019
He isnt eating the formula that i use with my other two babies but that could be that he scared as he is a wild baby theres no sour smells comin from his beak his feces is green but not as defined as my other birds are, his looks like green mashed potato his breathing is quick but doesnt seem labored. He was panting in the night but its not as bad today h does drink a bit of water sometimes other times he completely refuses it i am currently giving him a broad spectrum antibiotics but hes not eating or drinking enough for it to work in anyway an to be he seems like he's lossing weight

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
From my understanding, antibiotics (especially broad spectrum) are not good to use because it kills all bacteria even useful ones. So his GI track is probably all out of whack and that's especially not good for a baby. I highly suggest contacting a vet

Last edited:

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
Prebiotics and proiotics are used to replenish the good bacteria after an antibiotics course, but which ones you would need I have no idea.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
I use benebac plus gel probiotics for my eclectus, I'm not sure if thatll be good enough for a baby though.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
From my understanding, probiotics (especially broad spectrum) are not good to use because it kills all bacteria even useful ones. So his GI track is probably all out of whack and that's especially not good for a baby. I highly suggest contacting a vet

I think you meant antibiotics....probiotics don't kill anything. They literally are bacteria (the helpful kind).

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
From my understanding, probiotics (especially broad spectrum) are not good to use because it kills all bacteria even useful ones. So his GI track is probably all out of whack and that's especially not good for a baby. I highly suggest contacting a vet

I think you meant antibiotics....probiotics don't kill anything. They literally are bacteria (the helpful kind).

whoops yeah was definitely thinking antibiotics

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Also look for abnormal lump around the birds crop area, beside sour smell, as still could be a crop infection, if his crop still full. Also could be a lot of other things. Hopefully the bird will recover, but I would get him to a vet ASAP, if possible, as if he rejecting formula, the bird won't have much time left? Can't see the bird crop area, but looking at his eyes it could be a respiratory tract infection.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts