Help me identify my parrot

Dams

Mar 27, 2012
Recently got giving a parrot off my friends aunty, dont know what kind. They just said it was a green african parrot?

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,254

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I recognize it but don't know what type it is but what stood out the most is that it's stood on a knife in the wall?!

Birdybunch

Mar 27, 2012
Midwest
Parrots
Harlequin Macaw, Scarlet Macaw, Blue & Gold Macaw, Umbrella Cockatoo, Bluefront Amazon Parrot.
Recently got giving a parrot off my friends aunty, dont know what kind. They just said it was a green african parrot?

He looks just like the green-winged conure in the movie "Paulie."

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
I was going to say he looks like a large conure of some type. I don't want to know about the knife.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It is a Blue Crown conure, which did star in the movie Paulie.

It is from S. America though, not Africa.

I used to have one and she was one of the most wonderful animal companions anyone could ask for.

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
Blue crowned conifers. How do you get a bird without knowing the species?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Blue crowned conifers. How do you get a bird without knowing the species?

Well, I can see that, if someone just gives it to you. I had a German Shepard mix dog that someone left in my driveway. No one could ever figure out what the other half was, lol! The vet would ask me, and I'd just say, "I don't know, I was hoping you could tell me."

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
Ya i understand the former owner may not have known, but if it was me, id find out the species before i agreed to give it a home. Otherwise, you don't know how to care for it or what to expect from it. Then it gets revoked again. My folks BCC Had that happen to him his first 10 or so years.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
What a cutie!! Lol @ the knife! Did HE throw it at the wall and then fly over and perch on it?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ya i understand the former owner may not have known, but if it was me, id find out the species before i agreed to give it a home. Otherwise, you don't know how to care for it or what to expect from it. Then it gets revoked again. My folks BCC Had that happen to him his first 10 or so years.

Of course I agree with you, but we all know people often get birds without knowing anything about them. But, the OP is here now learning, which is good.

These things have happened to me, too. I had someone bring me a litter of orphaned possums. I didn't know anything about possums but we managed to get formula into them and get them warmed up. Although from there I was pretty sure I didn't want them in my house and had him take them to a wildlife shelter that specializes in raising wild animals. I did do baby bunnies after running over their nest with the lawn mower. I got a rat after the kids at school brought it there as a joke to throw off the balcony:eek: And I've come home to find chickens on my porch, lol!

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Sometimes parrots clean their face/beaks by rubbing their heads against the surface of whatever they happen to be sitting on. I'd highly advice against letting him hang out on a knife like that to avoid risk of serious injury.

Most Reactions