Help me?!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I just realized something that I wanted to mention and forgot. Get rid of that bird protector thing that is on your cage. They are full of insecticides and harmful to your bird, and I'm also wondering if maybe that is what is causing the plucking. They will not protect your bird from lice and mites but they may kill him :(

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Hi LizzieV:

First, thanks on behalf of your Pi for rescuing him.

If white capped Pis were dogs, they'd be those bark-y little terriers who are SURE they're bigger than a Great Dane.

For more information on living with Pis, look for the yahoo Pionus group (google it) & join - you will learn a lot.
Pis all have different personalities, but my WC Pi loves apples & carrots & yes, they end up shredded. He once dove into my bourbon-on-the-rocks glass (I think he though I was drinking apple juice & not sharing). He surfaced pretty quickly, with a shocked expression.

Do NOT allow your Dad to share his scotch. Had I been fast enough, my guy would never have gotten his beak in the bourbon & he hasn't, ever since.

I think changing homes is always temporarily traumatizing for birds - and they WILL pluck. Mist him with water every day or so.

They usually really enjoy it - I point the mister up in the air & the spray lands on him like rain - and he spreads his wings & dances with joy).

Make sure they get a GOOD mix of seeds, veggies, fruits, greens & pellets. Keep giving them stuff they don't seem to eat - sometimes it takes a month or longer before they realize it really IS food.

I think he needs more attention that you were originally giving him & would appreciate more cage-cleaning (although I'm not terribly good on that score & know from experience they CAN survive in less-than-ideal cages).

Once he figures out YOU are his human, you will have a friend-for-life.

My Pi is sitting on my shoulder, cooing (squeaking?) quietly while I type. It is his way of telling me he's about to go to sleep. Once he squeaks his name softly, he'll be asleep for the night . . .

That's what you have to look forward to. Enjoy, relax, & join the Pionus group.

But mostly, relax & enjoy. Your bird doesn't know you never got the owner's manual. He'll figure if it is okay with you, it is okay with him.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
6 hours out is great! I think I mentioned before, but Puck is out of his cage (if he wants to be) whenever I am home, even if we're not interacting. I have a small apartment, and he can see me most of the places I go.

If you have "foreign" food that is bird safe and you want him to try (a new veggie or something), try eating a some of it in front of him. Sometimes birds aren't sure whether something is food or not, and won't try it until they see someone they trust eat it.

I've had lots of birds, and I've never had them pluck when I got them (some were babies, some adults). I second IcyWolf's idea of removing the "bird protector"... it seems like adding unnecessary chemicals to your bird's area. I've never had a pet bird get mites, and I've always taken them outside.

How is he today? And when will we get more pictures? :-D

OP
L

LizzieV

Nov 21, 2011
ok I took out the bird protector and he's better :)

hahahah i have terriers like that! and ok thanks :))))

ok thanks :))) and lots more pics to come soon :)))) just gotta find time to upload them haha :)

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I let my Alexandrine out when ever im home. :)
(Just leave his cage door open and he comes out and in as he pleases)

And Im glad that he is getting better! : D

Also can't wait to see more pictures!

Most Reactions

Latest posts