HELP nail clipped too short

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Lukah- Sun Conure, 10 months old!
I clipped one of my Sun Conures back nails a little too short. I've done it before and there have been tiny pinpricks of blood, but this one was really short. Quite a bit of blood came out. I pressed corn starch onto it for a while and it has stopped bleeding now (I'm checking it every 5-10 minutes or so to make sure it doesn't start again.

He lost a lot of blood (not like it was pouring out but it came out quite quickly). I put him back in his cage and he is acting normally it seems (If not slightly shaken up from being doused in corn starch). I gave him an apple to eat because I thought he probably needs the water and some spinach. He's eating the apple and hasn't started the spinach so far.

Is there anything else I should give him to help replace any nutrients lost by the blood loss?

Any other advice from people who have gone through the same thing or are more experienced?

Any concerns, comments, advice and tips would be so appreciated!!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Not trying to be flip, but I'm pretty sure it looked like a lot more than it really was...and...normal, healthy birds will normally coagulate quickly, so, unless he worries with it, he'll be fine.....

If he holds the foot up or appears to limp, you probably caught part of the nerve, if he doesn't favor it, in 2-3 days the capillary in the toe will have started to recede & plug itself.....

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
He always holds his foot up, so its hard to tell if he's doing it because of that or not, but he has held it up a bit. I think it honestly freaked me out and hurt me more than it hurt him!

He's not biting at it or messing with it or anything. So that's good.

What happens if I did catch part of the nerve? Will this damage him permanently? Will it inhibit recovery?

How long should I keep checking on it for? It hasn't been bleeding for about 45 minutes to an hour. Could it randomly start bleeding again? I'm scared I'll go to bed and he'll accidentally bite at it and it will start bleeding again or something.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
If you appear to the bird that you are upset/stressing, it will cause the your bird to stress, which = increased blood pressure, however, if you just let it go, everything will be OK.....

Even if you did nick the nerve, those parts of a body regenerate themselves.....he'll be OK.....

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Okay. He is in his cage happily eating apple and pellets now. Should I allow him to go to sleep in a room alone, or should I keep him close and keep watch over him for longer? And how much longer if so? He hasn't bit at it at all yet or anything, but I'm afraid if I put him in my room with the lights off (which is what I usually do for him to go to bed) he might do something when I'm not watching him

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Okay. He is in his cage happily eating apple and pellets now. Should I allow him to go to sleep in a room alone, or should I keep him close and keep watch over him for longer? And how much longer if so? He hasn't bit at it at all yet or anything, but I'm afraid if I put him in my room with the lights off (which is what I usually do for him to go to bed) he might do something when I'm not watching him

If he's not bothered his toe, you really can quit worrying.....your little guy is going to be OK.....

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
Don't worry too much; I say this as someone who early on did the same thing - I panicked at the time, but he was just fine.

I now hold the toes somewhat more firmly. ;)

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Thank you guys so much! You've reassured me a lot haha I was panicking bad last night!

He is doing fine. Eating a playing normally and not bothered by it at all!

Most Reactions