Help Needed. Oil on bird Feathers

Daduc

Aug 7, 2012
Clearwater, FL
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
My GCC has his wings clipped. This afternoon i was walking around the house with him until he heard lawn mowers and got spooked. My parents had a little bit of (not hot) cooking oil in a pan from the night before. He glided on the outside of the pan where some of his tail feathers went into the oil and some on his wing. I gave him a bath with dishwashing soap and dried him up. He seems like hes doing fine, eating, and playing with his toys. But i still smell some cooking oil on him. Is there anything i should be worried about? Thank you for the help!

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Dawn is the dish washing liquid that they use for oil spills so if you can use that you should be alright just don't let him lick the soap residue other than that your bird should be fine.

OP
Daduc

Daduc

Aug 7, 2012
Clearwater, FL
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
ok Thank you for the help. i just feel so bad since he hates taking baths.

OP
Daduc

Daduc

Aug 7, 2012
Clearwater, FL
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
should i just fill the sink chest high and add some soap and try to get him to sit in it?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
When I had to cover Merlin in oil, I used dish liquid to get it out, I basically just drizzled some over where he was most covered and used a soaked cloth to rub it through and rinse it off. Unfortunately wasn't pleasant for him but I didn't want the oil staying on him for as long as it could have done.

As long as you have most of the oil off, he should be okay :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I watched the experts clean the wild birds that got soaked in oil they used dawn, there hands and hoses to rinse them off. You can dry him with a hair dryer.

OP
Daduc

Daduc

Aug 7, 2012
Clearwater, FL
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
I just gave him another bath with the dawn. trying to keep him dry and warm. is it ok to use hair dryer? i heard its bad for them.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
as long as the hair dryer doesn't over heat and is on a low setting, i think its ok :). just don't put it too close to him and he should be fine, if hes scared of it, just dry him with a soft towel. good luck!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Depends if your hair dryer uses PFTE. Merlin gets the occasional blow dry on low and coolest 'warm' setting, mines pfte free and Merlin loves it.

Personally, I'd just give him a good towel rub (make it fun tho!) and leave him to it in a warm area.

OP
Daduc

Daduc

Aug 7, 2012
Clearwater, FL
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
ok pretty much most of the oil is gone. so as long as most of the oil is off i should be ok?

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I do want to clarify that only Blue Dawn dishwashing soap is safe for birds.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
A new hair dryer could pose a minor PTFE risk -- heating elements in all kinds of appliances often have residual Teflon on them from the manufacturing process. They really shouldn't get hot enough to pose a problem, but I'd be cautious. If it's going to burn off it will have done it in the first several uses, so you are probably OK. OTOH, unless it is chilly, I'd just let them dry naturally.

Most Reactions

Latest posts