paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Ok i really need help i have just got my 18 month old amazon bobby he is such a nice bird he takes food from my hand but he seems scared to step onto me maybe this is because he has just being re homed after 18 months i don't know i would put up an image but i don't know how to i click on the attachments button but nothing happens if anyone could help me with that to thanks i also forgot to add if i put my hands near him he squarks at me and also his claws are far to long and he can't keep his balance what should i do?

Last edited:

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Maby try to stick training him. Regarding hes "claws" you should have them fixed

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
He's scared to step up because he doesn't know or trust you yet. You have to move at his pace, not yours, and his pace may seem excruciatingly slow.

I would start by just sitting quietly next to his cage with the door open, let him decide to come out and to you. Feed him something delicious and talk quietly to him. You don't want to overwhelm him. Try to put yourself in his shoes - someone you don't know, who speaks a language you don't understand, has just taken you into a place you've never seen before and they're poking at you with their hands. Not a pleasant way to start a new life :)

Definitely get those talons taken care of! He should probably see a vet anyway, so you could take care of both at the same time, checkup and grooming.

Finally, congrats on your new addition! I adore amazons, never would have thought I would be a 'zon person, but I really do just love them to bits.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I have just had him at the vets they only managed to get one talon done due to the fact i have only had him a few hours and he is scared as for the vets well i asked them to allow me in the room while they were cutting his talons but they said no and he has bitten one of them badly

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Go to a different vet. If they don't know how to properly restrain your bird to get the procedure done without being injured then they don't know enough about birds to be trusted. If you can't find an Avian vet, look for a vet that specializes in exotics.

Your amazon needs TIME to trust, to bond, etc. Do you know what TIME stands for? Things I Must Earn. Good thing to remember when patience is low.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Yes i know what time stands for i have being beside his cage with him for 3 hours i don't expect him to trust me right away due to the fact im a new face i have all the time in the world for him as my grandad always says once i gain his trust the sky is the limit im really greatful for the advice you and the others are giving me im taking in every bit of info you's are giving me

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum :) With a little time and patience he will be fine!

To upload a pic, just click on attachments and there will be one that says, upload from your computer, click on that, then browse, click the pic you want to put on and then click upload! or if you have Photobucket... , hover your mouse over the pic that you would like to add, then left click at the bottom where it says IMG, then paste into the message, click on preview message and your pic should be there :) Hope this helps.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Serious, find another vet, they're clueless.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
I already have i want the best for my feathered friend so im taking him to a exotic birds vet next week :)

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
I wasn't trying to come across as a smart ass with my T.I.M.E. statement. Just something I picked up my first time around A.A. It's a good philosophy for every part of your life.

Most Reactions