Need help about ringing

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the Forum:) I wouldn't worry about a leg ring.. My Amazon dosen;t have one! Not all breeders put them on.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Thank god for that im just worried about all sorts with me being a new owner i don't think his last owner looked after him aswell because i can't get my hands near him but like i said in my last post maybe this is because im a new face to him

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Yes, just give him time... sit and talk to him, offer him treats... If he will not step up without biting, try getting him to step on to a stick. It will take a while for him to gain your trust... Good luck with him and keep us posted :)

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Thanks and i will and here is a picture of the stunning man himself
Durham-20120612-00294.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey , congrats on Bobby the OWA, i think he's older than 18 months because those nails take longer than that to grow that long.You need to get a vet to clip them, but be careful,because they are so long the quicks will be longer than normal and bleeding might be an issue.Please don;t use a dremel tool to grind them, it gets too hot. I;d have some corn starch available in case you need it to stop the bleeding. You may need softer perches that he can grip,or file a point on his nails to improve his grip.

I wouldn't worry about him not being banded,most birds aren't. Rings can only be placed on babies at age of 10=14 days,open bands can be placed at anytime but are not very safe for the bird . Mirco=chipping is a good way to ID your bird and amazons are large enough that they can be chipped. Some birds can also be tatoo'd but they need anesthesia to do it and i wouldn't risk it just to tatoo.

Last edited:
OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Thanks all and he is 18 months they guy i got him from raised him since he hatched and i am taking him to see an exotic bird vet next week to have his talons done right also the cage he came in is far to small for him but there is another issue because im a new face and its going to take time for him to trust me he isn't letting me touch him but he will take nuts out my hand but thats it so can you please tell me a safe way just while we bond for me to get him in his cage on a night time for bed and here is a picture of his new cage it comes in the morning so hopfully he will like me abit more for giving him more space to move and execise
Bobbysnewcage.jpg

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
you might have to do the nails in stages a little off then 6 to 8 weeks later a little more as the quick dies back. ONLY a trained Avian Vet should try and remove a breeders band.!. And yes your right they are useless since there is no law requiring breeders to file the hatch dates or any reasonable information on the bird they just banded the numbers mean little or nothing and anyone can buy a box of the things with little regulation . I mean really It would be nice if you found a bird and could read the number put into a computer search and find out where the breeder is from what generation of bird (outside of the wild) maybe a bit of family tree. But the good news is that Microchips can be used on most birds and with a quick scan your birds name and your name and Phone number and any other information you want to add can be found by any vet or rescue foundation anywhere I firmly believe this is an investment only a fool would pass up ,IMHOP MY bird got it and never even bothered the spot of the injection site. next to his play gym best money I spent on him.

OP
paulhanlon

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Parrots
Im not to bothered about the ringing and i intened to have him chiped im just glad i took the little fella as the state of his talons made me sick and the cage he came in was far to small but now he has a new one im just waiting for him to climb out of his old one and into his bigger new one this little guy means the world to me and once he trusts me anything is possible :) also thank you all for the help

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Ya, they are referred to as bands and identify the parrot to breeder, so that the bird can be traced back to the breeder. California has all birds banded or the breeder could be fined. Other States have different laws like Missouri, where birds do not need bands. But the reason for the band is to stop diseases like parrot fever.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Ya, they are referred to as bands and identify the parrot to breeder, so that the bird can be traced back to the breeder. California has all birds banded or the breeder could be fined. Other States have different laws like Missouri, where birds do not need bands. But the reason for the band is to stop diseases like parrot fever.

I did not know that. If i gave you a band number,you could tell me the breeder? What's parrot fever and how do bands stop it?

I'll save you some trouble,band manufacturers will not give you client info without their consent,trust me on that.If i were to give you info on one of my AFA bands ,AFA won't give you my contact info.PS there's lots of band manufacturers in the US. If your referring to USDA open quarantine bands, good luck on finding anything other than year and location of facility,which is contained on the band.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts