Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Jessie,african grey(Timneh)
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Hello. we just got a (or should I say he just got us) a 9-month-old Mealy amazon. I was wondering at what age your amazons' eyes changed color. I thought it was more on the 1 to 1,5 yr mark but this guy already has red eyes. Seems early for a 9-month-old. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• 20240130_120146.jpg
    20240130_120146.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240130_120201_Gallery (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_120201_Gallery (1).jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 15

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Eye color changes happen with puberty, but physiological changes happen at different rates based on the individual parrot. Its not like an eye color switch that gets turned on at a specific time.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
You know, a picture of your baby might help (...me have a better day!)

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Eye color changes happen with puberty, but physiological changes happen at different rates based on the individual parrot. Its not like an eye color switch that gets turned on at a specific time.
ok thank you. I thought it was an age thing. It's good to know. I thought maybe he may be older than they said but it didn't make since to me. I don't think they lied about his age. I'm glad i didn't find out it was age.

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
You know, a picture of your baby might help (...me have a better day!)
I added a couple pics. Couldn't get better ones though i am sorry. He is very active and won't sit still. lol.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I didn’t think eye color change was a thing with Amazon parrots.
My youngest Amazon Merlin was about 8mo old when I got him in 2018.
His eye color has always been a shade or two lighter (tan instead of dark brown) than his partner Luna who is the same species.

It’s the way I tell them apart when up close, but it hasn’t changed since I got him.

my CAG at adoption had adult colored eyes and I was told (but didn’t really believe) she was 8/9 months old.
I have come to believe that the age was correct despite the fact she didn’t have black eyes as baby grey's do.

the pet shop I got my CAG from has a baby CAG and I have been able to observe her eyes slowly getting lighter.

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
I didn’t think eye color change was a thing with Amazon parrots.
My youngest Amazon Merlin was about 8mo old when I got him in 2018.
His eye color has always been a shade or two lighter (tan instead of dark brown) than his partner Luna who is the same species.

It’s the way I tell them apart when up close, but it hasn’t changed since I got him.

my CAG at adoption had adult colored eyes and I was told (but didn’t really believe) she was 8/9 months old.
I have come to believe that the age was correct despite the fact she didn’t have black eyes as baby grey's do.

the pet shop I got my CAG from has a baby CAG and I have been able to observe her eyes slowly getting lighter.
Thank you. Mealy amazon profiles seem to say they change from juvenile brown to adult red. I just can't find at about what age. Maybe its just a Mealy amazon thing i don't know about other species.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty, a yellow shoulder amazon, had the classic black baby eyes when we got him at 6 months. Now a lovely yellow/orange.

Most Reactions