Help needed

lover_of_ringnecks

Oct 22, 2012
OK, I have 3 aviaries that are joined together if I make them one big aviarie it will measure

10 meters [ 33ft] long
2.2 deep
2.2 high
They are now 3.3 long x 2.2 deep x 2.2 high

After talking to breeders and reading up about colony breeding V one pair per aviarie I'm starting to lean more for the colony type breeding as it seems more natural.
Whats the success rate colony v one pair per aviarie

If I decide to go that way would I need to put in 1 or 2 extra nesting boxes
[ 5 or 6 all up ] and how far apart should they be.

Next question is that with the ones that have bonded will they remain a pair in a colony situation?

As it is off breeding season here in Australia if I was to alter the aviarie now is the time to do it.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I don't know anything about colony breeding, but I could imagine it would be OK, if there's enough space and nesting places... How many ringnecks (if that's what you're breeding) would breed in that amount of space in the wild?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
A lot of birds do really good in colony breeding but in a abundance of space provided to avoid territorial issues. Are you giving all those measurements in meters? IF so I gather the width is about a little over 7 ft? I think it would be nice to double that width and the length at 33 ft sounds great! Since you are trying to house 5 pairs correct?

OP
lover_of_ringnecks

lover_of_ringnecks

Oct 22, 2012
Thanks for the input, the aviarie is going to be 33 feet long 7 feet high and 7 feet deep, there will be 3 pair of ring necks in the aviarie.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
In my opinion I would still widen the width to double the size.

Amandastander

Jul 23, 2012
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Buster turquoisegrey IRN male, Piper buttercup IRN female. 2 Budgies who will soon be relocating to my brothers home.
My aunt colony breeded IRN's with relative success. I tried it with my budgies and the one female actually invaded the others nest box and broke all her eggs! Some issues with colony breeding u may have is that IRN are jealous and they may well fight over the nest boxes, also, the males have a roving eye and if with other IRN, they may stop paying attention to the brooding female and pay attention to other females in the aviary causeing fights etc. My aunt mentioned that some of her IRN would go into other females nests and actually kill their babies, also abt hens kicking the babies from the nest because of unwelcome visits from other IRN in the aviary into the hens nest box. She's had to pull and handraise many a week old chick due to this. We must do well to remember that in nature though they are close to each other they still have a great amt of space between them so if you go through with it keep the nest boxes as far as possible away from each other, or mabey convert the aviary so that you can still seperate the breeding pairs with double mesh during breeding season, as they're also known to bite the toes of the fledglings perching on the mesh sides!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
When i bred IRNs i kept them separate . I do keep tiels in a large flight but separate out pairs into breed cages. The same situation with Quakers. I find many issues with dominate pairs taking over nest boxes , killing chicks and breaking eggs. I always ask myself when changing things, what is to be gained? What are you gaining in placing them all together? If your looking to improve breeding, I don't think that will happen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts