Help please

TONYASue

Mar 22, 2012
Ashtabula Ohio
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw and umbrella cockatoo
I foster birds and this is a first. I don't know what to do. I recently got a blue and gold macaw. We don't know his age. He will not step up he doesn't let you touch him. You can if your wearing a glove. He will act like he's going to bite but then just stands there freaked out that your touching him. He don't talk. Actually he never makes any noise. He will take treats gently from anyone and he will even take them from your mouth just no touching. He also doesn't play at all. He just stands on his cage or in it quietly and he rocks back and forth. I am at a lose. I have tried everything to get him to warm up and nothing. I don't understand what to do for him. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
How long have you had him? I don't know what his previous situation was, but his previous home could have been bad, or maybe it was good and he misses them. I would say to give him time, and keep doing the things that he is comfortable with.

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Like Remy asked, how long have you had him?

From the sound of it, this bird is going to take quite awhile to warm up to you. Don't try to pet him until he seems much more comfortable. Since he takes treats, I would just continue to give him treats and talk to him, so he knows it's OK.

Do you know any of his history? He may not know how to play with toys, or just does not feel comfortable with them yet. If you have a lot of toys in the cage, take them out. Leave up one or two.

When he gets more comfortable with you, you can show him different foot toys and other toys, play with them yourself to see if he's interested.

Have you taken him to the vet yet? How is his diet?

don't push him too much too fast. It can take MONTHS for a bird to become comfortable with you.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just give him time to get to see you are no threat. I've had a few birds that have shut down like that. They just needed time. Since you've fostered before, you know what to do. This poor angel is lost, and scared, and doesn't know who to trust, or what to do. I took in a Sun Conure once who was so traumatized, it took more than 2 months for him to accept me and step up. The fact that this bird takes treats from you is a good sign. Thank you so much for helping him. Please just have patience, and do not give up. Eventually, he'll get your message, and things will turn around. You probably already know that it is never easy, but, always worth the effort.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
my heart always breaks alittle when i read stories like these, as whats said above, and thank you an good luck

OP
T

TONYASue

Mar 22, 2012
Ashtabula Ohio
Parrots
Thank you so much every one that is very helpful. We don't really know anything about him. Except that he was with an older lady who took good care of him food and treat toy type. But didn't really have anything else to do with him. She passed on and Dino was rescued by parrot hope rescue and I'm fostering him until we find him a home. We do not know how old he is. His diet is great. He has a very healthy appetite. He's been with me for just a bit over a week. Should I keep trying to touch him or should I just lay off and let him warm up to me with giving treats and stuff?

OP
T

TONYASue

Mar 22, 2012
Ashtabula Ohio
Parrots
He's already captured my heart. We're thinking of adopting him just so he don't have to move again. And so we know he's loved. So I want to do everything I can to make sure he is happy. :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i personally won't push the touching, if his previous owner never did and just follow his ques on how much his going to be comfortable with, try a little beak rub when giving a treat, and see how he reacts, in time he may feel like a proper head rub :)

this is on the assumption his an older bird, and had lived without much physical contact, i didn't have huggy parents, and even now huggy ppl kinda freak me out, thats not to day i never hug, i just do it with ppl i am comfortable with, but with saying that i am a touchy feely type person, so i think nothing of leaving my hand on your arm as we talk etc and i know that freaks out some ppl even the huggy types lol

OP
T

TONYASue

Mar 22, 2012
Ashtabula Ohio
Parrots
Ok. He will let you touch his beak but you have to stand real still and hold your hand close to him for awhile first. But that's about it. I am a very patient person so I just stand there eye level with him and talk to him until he walks away.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Thank you for taking in this troubled Macaw. Seems to me that he just needs time to settle in and get used to his new surroundings. If it is at all possible to keep him, this would be best for this Macaw. Macaws who get bounced around a lot never seem to make a full recovery. It's true that this Macaw will take time and will need lots of one on one time with you.
The best and fastest way to bond with a Macaw is to adjust your schedule around him. This means when he eats, you eat, if he moves back and forth, you mimic him, make a game of it. If he takes treats as you described give him a few almonds, then take a toilet paper roll, let him see you put the almond or almonds inside, twist the ends and hand it to him, this does two things, first you are interacting with him, you are teaching him to play with a toy and by doing so, he gets a treat.
you can also work with them on stick training, there are many youtube videos to help you on-line.
You can work with the Macaw to step up onto a stick or perch, if he performs this task or any task that you ask of them, reward reward reward. Once he steps up onto you, that's when the real training begins, always take small steps hear as you do not want them to regress backwards. I like to work on the floor on a blanket with my Macaw when i first brought him home, you have better control over the Macaw and some macaws hate the floor and would rather be on your arm. play with them with toys, this way if they are aggressive, let them bite the toy and not you.
Take showers, eat, watch T.V, read to them. All of these actions are bonding time. Keep this thought in the back of your mind, you must allow your macaw to think of you as part of their flock. As time goes by, you will soon learn their body language, when they want you near and sometime, they want to be left alone. Please try to get more info about his past as this really helps understand what they have been through and how to treat them to make their life a bit easier. Thanks for sharing. best of luck Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts