Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Butch - citronella 'too 1988
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
So it's been a few weeks that we've had butch. We set up a new cage downstairs for him. Tonight I was going to try to bring him down so he could see it. The idea is that he will be in the huge cage downstairs during the day while we are at work and then move him to his old cage upstairs to sleep.

Tonight he came out on the door perch. I asked him to step up but wasn't forcing it. I was calm and soft with my voice. At one point he just held my fingers but didn't step up. I told him yeah we are holding hands. After a few minutes he climbed to the floor. He waddled around exploring a little. Then he started jumping around and popping his crest. He wasn't really making any noise except an occasional soft grunt kind of sound. He started to go for my feet but I wasn't sure he was actually going for my feet due to the haphazard way he was bouncing around. I guided him back to his room and he continued to bounce around. I was dangling a toy for him trying to distract for the bouncing as well as holding out sections of register tape.

At this point he was definitely going for my feet as I was laying on the bed watching him and talking. My one foot was over the edge and he grabbed my shoe. After a while he climbed his cage and was on the top. I was trying to coax him in his cage with treats. I went to put some receipt paper in his cage and he jumped off the cage at me.

I had hubby come up and help because when he's on his cage he's higher than me.

How do we deal with this. I couldn't even give him more scratches with him behaving this way.

Thanks and sorry it's so long.
Sassy

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Reading this and I'm thinking of some sort of *safe* cat toy with wand that you might be able to play with him? Not sure why I'm thinking of this...

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Cockatoos can get really weird when they're on the floor, what you described sounds like he was displaying.I have heard cockatoo owners talk about how their cockatoos go for their owners feet when they're on the floor. He could be displaying because of hormones, it is spring after all. I wouldn't let him on the floor if this continues, and be sure to only pet his head. Petting other parts of the body can be hormonally stimulating. If he becomes difficult to handle, you can use a perch to handle him. Good luck and happy spring!

OP
S

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
He's been tough to handle all along. We think he's been a perch potato and wasn't handled much because when I do have him on my hand he feels very unstable and nervous. He tends to bite my hand.

blstandifer

Mar 25, 2013
Mountain Ash
Parrots
Amazon (R.I.P)
Umbrella Cockatoo (New Rescue)
I've had Lilly for 2 weeks and she did the same thing. At first I freaked out and was really scared of it but her previous owner told me that they use to play this way.
I of course didn't want to allow it but last night I was covering the couch to let her sit and watch TV with me when all the sudden I felt this beak hit my foot. She didn't bite me she was actually playing. LOL
maybe like it was mentioned.. some sort of cat toy.. maybe he is playing or trying to play in his own way

OP
S

Sassy

Jun 4, 2012
Bethlehem PA
Parrots
Neytiri -CAG 4/11/12
Scooter Pie -Caique 8/12
Skittles - caique 4/13
Ringo - caique 2009
Chica - caique 2006
Rascal - RBC 2001
I wasn't too worried till he grabbed on and hung from my shoe. I'm more worried about the bites. Last one sent me to the dr to get patched (1/4 in at most but needed attention)

How do we build the trust that he will step up and not freak out on me?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is a simple fix, don't let him on the floors. Cockatoos get very aggresive on the floor and feet are there first place to go. Don't try to distract him just get him and out him in time out is what I do with my toos. They have now learnt ether the floor is playing and having fun or if I am bad I won't be able to have that time. Really I just suggest to not let hm on the floor, but I am sucker for there Hoping around they like to do and Farley enough they are ground like birds and enjoy it so I try to make it into play Instead of an aggresive attitude, but if you don't feel comfortable working with him this way(this can mean getting bit or taking a lot of time). Then just don't let him wander on the ground andout him away for time outs:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts