Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Great advice here, I wish you and Happy all the best. She has potential to be a beautiful "Happy" bird. I LOVE the colors of a Red Lored :).

Then this is for you...

Thanks Mark, you can post pics of the cute ol' lady any day :D! Honestly, whenever I've seen Red Lored in good feather in person, I can't stop staring. IMO one of the prettiest Amazons. Many times pics don't do them justice, the colors are more impressive in person. Many times the shade of blue is striking.

jessicavengeance

Jan 14, 2016
I had the same thing happen. I got handed over a nanday Conure. 26 years old. And the lady had her for a year and the woman before her 7 years. They said she was very mean and she's such a sweet heart. And we took her to the vet and she needed her nails clipped badly. Some people!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Those white spots, unfotunately, are cataracts.... if she isn't blind, she's going blind.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Thanks Mark, you can post pics of the cute ol' lady any day :D! Honestly, whenever I've seen Red Lored in good feather in person, I can't stop staring. IMO one of the prettiest Amazons. Many times pics don't do them justice, the colors are more impressive in person. Many times the shade of blue is striking.

Right now she is in cllngy, jealous bird mode. I set her down, she immediately flies right back to me. "He's mine! Back off!" with the other birds.

It's THAT time of year...

RedLoredAmazon

Feb 27, 2019
Northern California
Parrots
Gus, hatched in the early 1974! Red Lored Amazon and two male Budgies.
We adopted Gus, a 44 year old Red Lored Amazon several months ago. My older son got him but approximately two weeks after bringing him home, Gus adopted my 13 year old son. From what I have read and learned, Red Lored Amazons are a ONE PERSON BIRD. Gus bites everyone in our family if we try to pick him up, right hand only, when he doesn't want it. My 13 year old can do just about anything to the bird. He cuddles him, flips him on his back, gives him a shower by directly putting him in the shower stream, but not on the face (Yes, they shower together). Then Gus sits on the shower curtain rod while my son finishes his shower. All the while, wolf whistling, I kid you not. The bird absolutely adores my teenage son. He even performs a dance for him. He fluffs up, shifts from foot to foot, like a little sumo wrestler, gently taps his hand, while making a chicken clucking sound and regurgitating. I'm pretty sure it's a mating dance. My thought is, they'll pick someone from the household to give all their love. Everyone else will be treated like a stranger. I'm also under the understanding they usually have a preference for males or females.

Hope this helps a little.

Most Reactions

Latest posts