Help Regurgitating

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
So my gcc is 3 1/2 months old and she always does the head bob for me and my dog but today she regurgitated food for me and my dog. Rory is always really good she doesn't bite and she loves to lay on her back on my chest while I rub her belly she will even roll over while on the couch and want me to kiss her belly. Do I need to be worried that she has regurgitated food for me? We are super bonded and I've only had her/him for a month.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Rory is awfully cute! My conure and even one of my budgies does it fairly regularily, it's harmless, a show of intense affection. She's "feeding" you. If it bothers you, or actually makes a mess, just "change the subject" with her if you see she's gonna start, start a new game, toss a ball, whatever. She sounds like a lovable little cuddle-bug. :D

Willc

May 14, 2013
MissTaz,

You should really try to keep the relationship PG! What I mean by this is only 'rub' a bird on the head and shoulders. The stomach should be reserved for mating as it triggers hormone releases. If you are not careful you could cause Rory to become frustrated because nothing is happening.

As for the regurgitating I have had many birds do this in the past. I think that kalidasa has some good information. If you get worried that Rory is not eating enough you could leave during feeding times as well.

OP
MissTaz

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
MissTaz,

You should really try to keep the relationship PG! What I mean by this is only 'rub' a bird on the head and shoulders. The stomach should be reserved for mating as it triggers hormone releases. If you are not careful you could cause Rory to become frustrated because nothing is happening.

As for the regurgitating I have had many birds do this in the past. I think that kalidasa has some good information. If you get worried that Rory is not eating enough you could leave during feeding times as well.
Oh geez no more belly rubs for Rory. I had no idea! What about petting her under her wings she likes to extend her wing so I can scratch the underside. The regurgitations does not bother me at all I just want to make sure I am raising her right. And the only reason I bet her belly is because her favorite way to lay is on her back and I like to have contact with her I feel it strengthens our bond.

OP
MissTaz

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory is awfully cute! My conure and even one of my budgies does it fairly regularily, it's harmless, a show of intense affection. She's "feeding" you. If it bothers you, or actually makes a mess, just "change the subject" with her if you see she's gonna start, start a new game, toss a ball, whatever. She sounds like a lovable little cuddle-bug. :D

Thank you she is a total cuddle big it's amazing! I feel sure very luck to have such strong bond in such a short time. She likes to press her face against my face while I pet her head its so cute. And if I put my lips on top of her head she will usually fall right to sleep. I love her!

Willc

May 14, 2013
MissTaz,

I personally have never heard of the feathers being a "bad" place to rub. I would say be careful doing this, just due to the nature of what is there. I am not saying to avoid doing this, just make sure you are gentle. I would love if someone with more experience could chime in on this questions.

Also, any time you are rubbing a parrot you can expect the occasional small bite. This is done to let you know that you pruned a little to hard or in a spot that she did not want. The bite shouldn't draw blood or be overly painful. You just need to accept it and be cautious in that area. This does not mean that it will happen often, just that you should be prepared in the event that it does happen.

Hope this helps taz!

OP
MissTaz

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
MissTaz,

I personally have never heard of the feathers being a "bad" place to rub. I would say be careful doing this, just due to the nature of what is there. I am not saying to avoid doing this, just make sure you are gentle. I would love if someone with more experience could chime in on this questions.

Also, any time you are rubbing a parrot you can expect the occasional small bite. This is done to let you know that you pruned a little to hard or in a spot that she did not want. The bite shouldn't draw blood or be overly painful. You just need to accept it and be cautious in that area. This does not mean that it will happen often, just that you should be prepared in the event that it does happen.

Hope this helps taz!

This does help I guess I shoul clarify its more of her chest she likes rub. Above her legs. She has never nipped me sometimes she will grab my finger with foot and play with my nails. I'm just thinking I have a very unique bird. I'm sure things will change when she hits puberty. But I sure am enjoying this sweet cuddle big.

Willc

May 14, 2013
MissTaz,

The area you are describing should really be a no no. The head and shoulders are okay to rub. These are areas that Rory can't really preen. The chest or lower on the front is a very bad idea. The only place worse then this is the backside of Rory. These are areas that parrots are able to preen very easily. When another "parrot" does this, it is a sign of affection. This is one method birds use to say, "Hey, I really like you. Want to be mates?" I know it is a great feeling to have her enjoy it and enjoy the affection, but you really should think about the future. It can cause all sorts of problems down the road.

I have provided a link for you that talks a bit more about this: RP - Mating

OP
MissTaz

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Thank you so much!! Your advice is very much appreciated!! I will make sure that I pet her the right way so she is not getting the wrong signals. I want to keep Rory her happy little self. We don't want a frustrated Rory that would not be good for her!!!!

MissTaz,

The area you are describing should really be a no no. The head and shoulders are okay to rub. These are areas that Rory can't really preen. The chest or lower on the front is a very bad idea. The only place worse then this is the backside of Rory. These are areas that parrots are able to preen very easily. When another "parrot" does this, it is a sign of affection. This is one method birds use to say, "Hey, I really like you. Want to be mates?" I know it is a great feeling to have her enjoy it and enjoy the affection, but you really should think about the future. It can cause all sorts of problems down the road.

I have provided a link for you that talks a bit more about this: RP - Mating

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Savannah has been doing that a lot. It seems the best advice I have been given is to ignore it when she does it. I only pet her on the head, beak and shoulders, but she still does it. I've had her a little over a month so I think she has just really bonded with me. I do think the walking away and/or ignoring it works the best.

OP
MissTaz

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Savannah has been doing that a lot. It seems the best advice I have been given is to ignore it when she does it. I only pet her on the head, beak and shoulders, but she still does it. I've had her a little over a month so I think she has just really bonded with me. I do think the walking away and/or ignoring it works the best.

Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts