Help, What kind of bird is this?

Gooper

Jul 10, 2012
DSCF0095.jpg
Hi, Im new to bird ownership, I have always wanted one and now living on my own i can have one. Anyways my neighbor gave me this bird (he has another bird and they dont get along). He wasnt sure what type of bird it is. Does anyone know?
DSCF0097.jpg

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Looks like a female Indian ring neck to me. A lot like my sammy. You can tell the male from the female by the ring light green normally means a female. Black or dark brown for male.
Very pretty she is.

OP
G

Gooper

Jul 10, 2012
thanks everyone :) this seems like a great site, Any tips for a new owner?

OP
G

Gooper

Jul 10, 2012
she seems to nip when you put a hand near the cage, i just got her and wasnt sure if i should remove her from the cage yet, not sure if i should leave her be for a bit to get use to the new house?

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Try sitting next to her cage and read a book to her or sing to her and give her some treats to show you are not there to hurt her its just a matter of time you need to gain her trust first and this will take some time

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
Try monkey nuts sunflower seeds or millet spray if your going to give her sunflower seeds put them in her bowl but dont give her alot as sunflower seeds are bad for the health of your parrot just stick a few in a day and remember sit next to her cage talk and sing to her and eventually you will start to gain her trust move at her pace not yours and she will step up onto you when she is ready hope i helped you and i hope you too become the best of friends :)

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
clicker training is a great way to train an aggressive/fearful bird to step up. Unsalted sliced almonds, unsalted un buttered popcorn, millet, unsalted sunflower seeds, and plain oatmeal cooked in water, make great treats :). just be sure to feed good quality pellets, lots of fruits and veggies ( no avocado, chocolate, alcohol or caffine). im sure you two will get along great :)
heres a link to clicker training
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9eDYBg&usg=AFQjCNHmcKBfcKf4Ev1BEXQSScJbrx1_aw
good luck :)

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
If your bird in younger than 3 years... you wouldn't be able to tell, whether it's male or female...

Treats for training, I would try sunflower seeds, shelled...

charliesmommy

Mar 24, 2012
Media
Albums
Naples, Florida
Parrots
Charlie:my blue Indian ring neck and Twiggy, a grey cockatiel.
I have a male indian ring neck. (oh, btw...Males don't get the dark ring around their neck until around 2 yrs of age) My bird was DNA tested- that's how I know for sure it's a boy.
I highly recommend that while he/she is in the bluffing stage that you socialize MORE with the bird, take her out of the cage and act like the brattiness doesnt bother you.
My ring neck eats lots of fruits and veggies as snacks. Once a day we give him a bowl of grapes, tomato, cucumber, rice, carrots, broccoli, etc.. all cubed so he can hold it with his foot. He loves it!

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Get a good general reference on bird care if you don't already have one! I like Gallersteins "complete pet bird handbook". Lots to learn, but they are so much fun!

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
look up a lot online about them and buy at least one or 2 books. for treats, sunflower seeds are good for training. you could also use slices of almond or pumpkin seeds. for just giving to him/her bause you love them, millet are nutriberries maybe?

Most Reactions