Help help help

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I just sat on ringo! He screamed and flew away, he sems ok now though, I was freaking out crying before and I am still shaking now, What me do? I am a horrible person!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
No your not horrible it was just an accident but you need to take him to the vet ASAP to make sure nothing is broken.
Just take a breather and calm down, then take him in.

OP
ringobird

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
No your not horrible it was just an accident but you need to take him to the vet ASAP to make sure nothing is broken.
Just take a breather and calm down, then take him in.

I cheched hi just then, feeling around his body and nothing is broken, my dad, said he is absolutely fine

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
He could have internal injuries that you might not know about, you really need to take him in to be sure.
Just remember that you are still a good owner, it was just an accident.

OP
ringobird

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
He could have internal injuries that you might not know about, you really need to take him in to be sure.
Just remember that you are still a good owner, it was just an accident.

The closest bird vet is a good hour away AT LEAST! And my dad won't let me take him to the non bird vet 20 mins away. Is there anyway I can determine if he has an internal injury? He will probably be sleeping in my room tonight just so I can keep an eye on him though.

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Keep an eye on him over night. If he flew away then he should be ok. Sounds that your more up set then he is. He might be a little upset with you for a couple of days but bet he will be fine. If you notice any odd things tomorrow then take him to the vets. Things happen give him lots of TLC and he will forgive you remember to forgive yourself.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I wish I knew of a way other than to go to a vet. An hour is nothing compared to the life of your bird. It really is critical that you take him in ASAP because an internal injury can kill very fast. Anything less than 3 hours a way is totally do-able to save your fid, please take him in.

OP
ringobird

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Keep an eye on him over night. If he flew away then he should be ok. Sounds that your more up set then he is. He might be a little upset with you for a couple of days but bet he will be fine. If you notice any odd things tomorrow then take him to the vets. Things happen give him lots of TLC and he will forgive you remember to forgive yourself.

Thankyou, this really helps. I have a cage set up for him with paper on the bottom of the cage so I can make sure his poops are all ok, I will be sure to get up in the middle of the night as well and keep an eye on him.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Internal hemorrhaging/bleeding/punctures have no physical manifestation until noticeable weakness from blood loss sets in... then its a pretty rapid decline.

He might be okay, but internal injuries are not a wait and see thing... not much is with birds...

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
It will depend very much on how hard a surface he was on, when you sat down... Also did you actually sit right down, or did you notice him, before you were fully seated?

Unless you or your dad is a vet and has an x-ray machine, you cannot tell if anything is broken...

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
All comments here are very true. If it is internal injuries, once the symptoms appear, it may be too late.

Refer to lene1949's comments with regards to the seating and make a call. Personally, I wouldn't wait and would take mine in straight away; but the vet that I see may not be avian trained, but keeps up to date with avian medicine regardless. (Our closest avian vet is 1300km away). Call up a vet and get a second opinion if you can.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
How hard did you sit on him? How is he acting now? Did you feel any cracks/pops/crunches when you sat on him? Does he seem like he is favoring any part of his body? Does he let you handle him relatively normally, or is he acting different? Does he seem protective of any areas of his body? Is he puffing up, or acting lethargic (if he is, take him to the ER ASAP!)? How are his poops, and how is his breathing?

The judgement is up to you, but these are some questions to help you think, if you haven't thought of them already. I hope he is okay.

Grenage

Jun 1, 2012
Portsmouth, UK.
Parrots
Aizen: YS-GCC
As above, while your bird is probably fine - if it is not, it may be too late to do anything about it.

Not that anyone ever really 'wants' to take a potentially long and expensive trip to the vets, but consider the alternative.

OP
ringobird

ringobird

Apr 9, 2012
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hi guys, just letting you know that I probably over reacted and Ringo is FINE!!

Most Reactions