Help with clicker training

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Kia-Goffin Cockatoo, Paco-Indian Ringneck
I dont know what else to do. Im kind of stuck. Ive been working with Paco and he's making baby steps. He's eating pellets and only gets his seed twice a day for about an hour. He's eating most of the fruit I give him (loves apples and cantalope) but is hesitant with the veggies. He comes out of the cage on his own. I usually have to use my glove to get him out. I dont have to use the glove to get him back in, he does peck my hand but not to hurt me. I introduced the clicker to him but it's very hard to keep working with him because any time I go near him with a treat he attacks the treat. For example he loves millet. I cut a small piece of millet to click/treat with just to get him used to the clicker. He bites the millet but not to eat it, he's biting it like "get that thing away from me". Ive tried with pieces of apple too because I know he likes apple, he does the same thing. Ive tried taking his food out of the cage for a couple hours before I work with him so he's hungry, no luck with that either. Is there somthing Im doing wrong, or somthing else I could try? Im not going to stop trying?

OP
Lesa1211

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
Also I started giving him vitamins twice a week because he's molting and his feathers are a wreck lol. They are coming in so nice tho. I cant wait to see what he looks like when he's fully feathered. He must like me a little, when Im giving Kia attention he starts climbing all over the cage on the side that's closer to me and makes all kinds of birdy noises :)

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
He may not be food motivated. This makes clicker training a little more difficult, but if he finds a special toy that is his favorite that can also be used as a reward. My lovebird loves cat toys and rolls them all over the floor of her cage, she picks them up and tries to fling them which is funny because they are almost as big as her. foot toys may be the answer if your guy likes them too.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I would try sunflower seeds with an IRN.. You need to take them out of his seed mix, if they are in there... You can buy the seeds without the shell, which makes for faster eating and less mess...

If you go with sunflower seeds, it's important that he only gets them for training...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You need to use a treat that he goes nuts over, not something you give him often as his daily routine. Like lene suggested, sunflower seeds makes perfect training treat. You shouldn't have to give him vitamins IF your feeding fruit and veggie plus pellets on a daily basis.

SunnyGirl

May 8, 2012
Jesenice, Slowenia, Europe
Parrots
sun conure - Sunny
my sun would do anything for a sunflower seed, she even purrs like a kitten when she sees them :p she would try doing turns and flips, just to get a seed (she doesn't get too many though)

OP
Lesa1211

Lesa1211

Mar 29, 2012
Pittsurgh PA
Parrots
He doesnt play with toys at all. I think it's because his previous owner didnt have toys in his cage. I just bought a millet holder toy on ebay that he does touch to get thhe millet out but thats about it as far as toys. I will definately try the sunflower seeds. They are in his seed mix and I do see he likes them. He does get fruit everyday but turns his beak up at most veggies. Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Most Reactions