Teaching older parrots new words

Clueless

Feb 14, 2012
Missouri
Parrots
Secret & MC, two blue front amazons
Are there different techniques for this? Both of these are rescue amazon parrots - both, according to veterinarian, are older than 30 years and imported. Absolutely no clue on age other than that.

Health is improving on both of them. I've had them over 6 months now and had absolutely no bird experience.

MC is a chatter box - yaks and gibberish is nearly constant. Has a vocabulary but doesn't seem to be adding much to it. The other, Secret, can say a few words (more when a child is present) and whistles.

Thanks!

ParrotAddict

Mar 26, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Plum-head parakeet parrot.
Hello: When I got my TAG he was 7 years old and hardly said a work, but only whistle. Now that I have had him for about 3 months he is talking up a strom and makes many different sounds. Its all in how much time you spend with him and allowing him to be social with you. I talk to him constantly and normally the same words repeatedly. Before you know, he is saying the words within 1-3 weeks later. Keep talking to your parrots and oneday you might just be amazed. Good Luck!

CRYROLFE

Jul 19, 2012
Media
St. Louis, MO
Parrots
TESLA-Congo African Grey
VINNY - Vasmaeri Eclectus
It really just depends on the bird. We have a rehomed CAG and he was 7 when we got him 2 yrs ago. He still says a lot of the words that he said before, but he has picked up quite a bit of new ones from us. Have fun!

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
He will pick up new words as time goes on! The best way to do it is sit in front of him and just keep repeating the words clearly and slowly to him... Another good way is to make a voice recording, repeating each word 3 times, then when you go out, put it on repeat!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts