Help with my new baby "Wall-E"

New Ecki Owner

Feb 28, 2011
Hi, my name is Laura and I am new to this forum. I am expecting a new 3 month old male eclectus on Thursday from a breeder in Texas (I am in Ft. Lauderdale, FL). I am a little nervous because since I have purchased my new boy, the breeder does not respond to me as quickly as she did when I was inquiring about him. I was wondering if any of you can give me some tips and suggestions on welcoming home my new arrival. Also, he is just weaned but I have no idea what type of food I should be feeding him because of the lack of communication with the breeder. Any advice will help. I also have a 4 year old son that is looking forward to our new baby. Do any of you have kids growing up with your eclectus? I will post pictures as soon as he arrives. Thank you, and I look forward to chatting with everyone...

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
welcome to the forum, how much was the eclectus?? and how is it getting delivered?? lol sorry my geography is bad!

there are alot of ppl in this formum with that breed so they will know more

OP
N

New Ecki Owner

Feb 28, 2011
I got him from solely solomon aviaries in Texas. He was about $1000. He was born on December 6th and I will be receiving him on March 3rd (this thursday)...I am happy with the breeder. She made me feel comfortable with the choice I made. Im pretty sure I will be hearing from her before Thursday, but I like to be one step ahead of myself. I like to be preparred for things. So I wanted to get the food and supplies ready for his arrival. Thanks for your reply..

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Awwwwww wow, I wish you would have checked on the forums before actually purchasing your Bird. Had you done a little checking, you would have found WWW.tropicalparrotise.com. They are one of the best breeders around and are located in Clermont in Central Florida. They are about 35 miles from me and if I were to buy another bird from a breeder, they are where I would go. Their Eclectus is $850.00 weaned + since you live in Ft .Lauderdale, you could have driven up here and checked out her birds and decided on what type fit your family. You also could have made a day trip and come up and picked up your new baby and saved a ton of money.

But I hope you realize that just because your bird was had feed or came from a breeder doesn't mean that is will be HAND TAME right out of the shipping crate. So mind your 4 year old around it. An Eclectus can snap a finger as easily as a pencil with it's large beak.

Also, may I ask why you settled on an Eclectus?

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
I got Skyler from Lilly as well. He is not going to jump right on your hand from the start, but give him a day and he will be wondering whats going on through out the house. Skyler is very tame aside from him picking up the new biting habit which I plan to kick in the butt as soon as I can. I am so very excited for you!!!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Parrots
This is the daily menu that she is going to send you.

DAILY MENU PER PAIR

2-TABLESPOONS FROZEN PEAS
2-TABLESPOONS FROZEN CORN
2-TABLESPOONS OF ZUPREEM-NATURAL MAINTENANCE DIET (FOR CONURES)
1-TABLESPOON COOKED BROWN RICE
1-TEASPOON CRUSHED RED PEPPER

CHOP THE FOLLOWING IN A MINI-CHOPPER

½ GRANNY SMITH APPLE (PEEL AND CORE)
4 BABY CARROTS
4 INCHES OF BROCCOLI

COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS, SHOULD EQUAL ABOUT ONE CUP

IN THE AFTERNOON AROUND 3-4 PM, PICK UP VEGGIE BOWL AND
CHANGE WATER

SERVE COCKATIEL SEED MIX (¼-½ CUP)

SHOWER YOU ECLECTUS 1-2 TIME WEEKLY

THANKS, LILLY

OP
N

New Ecki Owner

Feb 28, 2011
You were right..she did send me that menu. As a matter of fact...she just called me when I started to type this. She is such a sweet lady and she really cares about those birds. I feel much more comfortable with the arrival of my new boy. My son named him Wall-E. I have experience with a cockatoo that I owned in the past, but she was plotting my son's death. Unfortunately I had to rehome her because she literally attacked my son (especially when my son wasn't looking). I have done a lot of research before I decided with what breed I was going to purchase. Not only are the Ecki's beautiful, but they love people and children. I made the right decision this time and spent a little extra money to get a baby so that my son and Wall-E can grow up together. I am very excited about my little man. I will keep you updated!!!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Parrots
You were right..she did send me that menu. As a matter of fact...she just called me when I started to type this. She is such a sweet lady and she really cares about those birds. I feel much more comfortable with the arrival of my new boy. My son named him Wall-E. I have experience with a cockatoo that I owned in the past, but she was plotting my son's death. Unfortunately I had to rehome her because she literally attacked my son (especially when my son wasn't looking). I have done a lot of research before I decided with what breed I was going to purchase. Not only are the Ecki's beautiful, but they love people and children. I made the right decision this time and spent a little extra money to get a baby so that my son and Wall-E can grow up together. I am very excited about my little man. I will keep you updated!!!

He is going to end up being your sons bird. :D lol. They're going to be best of buds. Hope you don't :( when he takes him away.

Just kidding. But that was a major factor in me getting the Eclectus over the CAG was their liking of other people and being good with children and other pets.

Good luck!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Ok this gotta stop!!! Im still in search of a pair.... all this talk about them make me wanna drive down somewhere right now and pick one up...lol. im taking my time since I do have the tank to sell first.... :/

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Parrots
Ok this gotta stop!!! Im still in search of a pair.... all this talk about them make me wanna drive down somewhere right now and pick one up...lol. im taking my time since I do have the tank to sell first.... :/

In time. Worry about your fish tanks first and everything else. Such as getting those new keets taken care of...

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
The keets are under quarantine right now until first week of April so I'm going pass the month mark just to be on the safe side. But they are eating, chirping, so fourth so on....Poop even look normal, eyes are clear, nostrils are clear, feather in perfect condition. So I think they would be fine.

By the way, I found my pair of Red-Sided Eclectus....We're discussing if I should get them next Friday, this week I'm too busy with all 3 dogs going in the vets for shots, exams, etc etc....Then gotta attend community meeting about idiots driving like mad off my street, this past weekend a drunk driver ran over my mailbox, killed my bush, and damaged my grass. The report is in so I need to get ahold of the insurance company first thing in the morning. Two weeks prior a girl was speeding down the hill and hit the neighbor's car parked in their drive way and she died on the spot....Then it's down to business to discuss about these two babies, plus we have to buy a cage ASAP if we were to take them....Already have a spot for them to stay at during quarantine.... :)

Most Reactions