Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Training a bird, is time comsuming, hard work and takes a lot of patience.
Most birds are extremely demanding, as is my AG Mishka. Everyday like clock work, :grey: spends time outside her cage, we interact, and play. After dinner, she spends time playing on her playpen, chatting and playiong with us. An hour before her bedtime, she spends on my lap, learning new words and sentances, going over what we chatted during the day.
Be patient, perserver and anything can be achieved. :smile002:

Below is a great link pertaining to training ringnecks

http://www.birdtricks.com/indian_ring_neck_parrot.htm

Last edited:
OP
Jenna

Jenna

Jul 30, 2010
Huddersfield
Parrots
Indian ringneck parakeet
thanks for all the help i really appreciate it i really didnt know what i was letting myself in for :( .. seems like ive got a lot of hard work on my hands but she will be worth it when she turns out to be a really great bird she's just had a bad start in life by the looks of things.

thanks for the links on how to train its very interesting i will definatly use some of the tips on there to try and get her more comfortable with us

just one more question .. should i let her out of her cage or not ? as it will be a struggle to get her back in because she runs away

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I will only let her out of the cage after her vet visit and her wings are properly clipped.

My IRN stayed in her cage until she trusted my hands.

Do you see this as work, is that why you have a crying face? This is a very long commitment and if it is not possible that you can change your lifestyle then perhaps a parrot is not for you.

They used throw my IRN with pillows, chased her with brooms etc. She broke her leg on 3 places and the people just left it like that to heal by itself - can you imagine the pain and how much she hated and mistrusted people? With patience and loads and loads of love I taught her that we are not all bad and today I dont even ask her to step up - she just jumps for me when she sees me. So dont worry about where she came from or how she was treated - just overwhelm her with love and laughter - never scream at her even if she bites you and soon her own personality will shine through.

I do however think that you have it in you otherwise her wings would not have made you sad and you would not have been here.;)

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
At only 8 months old, you should have no trouble taming her with time and patience. I agree that a trip to the vet to get the clip evened out would be a good move. My Alexandrine (not an IRN, but a cousin) molted at about 13 months, so her's may start in just a few months.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Jul 30, 2010
Huddersfield
Parrots
Indian ringneck parakeet
no i dont see it as work , i just feel sad for the bird as she seems to have had such a tough time , i gave her some fruit and she didnt even know what it was . i cant believe people couild treat such a lovely bird in such a terrible way.

she will come around i have plenty of time for her , shes making improvements already so the signs are good , i will wait untill she visits the vet to let her out , i just hope her wings aren't damaged permantly

thanks for the help and advice much appreciated

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Jul 30, 2010
Huddersfield
Parrots
Indian ringneck parakeet
At only 8 months old, you should have no trouble taming her with time and patience. I agree that a trip to the vet to get the clip evened out would be a good move. My Alexandrine (not an IRN, but a cousin) molted at about 13 months, so her's may start in just a few months.

yes she is still young so it should be ok with time , it could be but i am going to the vet just to make sure shes 100% ok i dont want her suffering.

craftsmaster

Jun 5, 2010
Gold Coast Australia
Parrots
African Grey
Okay, here’s another disadvantage to parrot ownership. They bite - even the tamest of pet parrots will occasionally bite. Why? A variety of reasons – and sometimes it’s not easy trying to figure out exactly why! Sometimes, they’ll bite out of fear, or they just may be doing it out of boredom. Parrots also bite out of frustration or for reasons related to their innate territorial instincts.

Carmel
Parrot Breeders

Most Reactions

Latest posts