Help with weaning

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Thank you all. It was really helpful. I have kept rio on 3 feeds. Mashed chickpeas in the morning Fruits in the afternoon and chickpeas again for dinner. Is this enough? Also do I have to steam the veggies? where I live its difficult to get packaged bird feed so I have to feed rio a lot of home cooked food. But if you guys could recommend which brand of pellets is good I could order it online. Also the fruits rio ate it on his own in fact he didn't allow me to feed him

Get him some seeds for the time being if your not able to get some pellets. Then order some pellets to switch him over. You really need a variety of food for a balanced nutrition with a mixture of beans, veggies, fruits, etc etc.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We got the baby cockateil to eat millet and im torn, im glad hes eating something and he really really went after it, but at the same time... its millet... thats like eating frosting for breakfast lunch and diner. But we could feel his breast bone sticking out through his skin very easily poor thing. We are offering budgie sized pellets and seed and chop and formula in a bowel all day everyday, but so far hes just eating millet. Im apprehensive about the syringe because hes not showing a feeding response and i dont want to just pour formula into his mouth if he isnt ready... its just available in a bowl.

During weaning/fledging stage they will lose weight for flight purpose. IF he was handfed to begin with then he will show feeding response if you hand feed. Use the short tip syringe is best. Are you not able to find a local breeder to help with the situation? If he is eating millets, place that on top of his feed dish with mainly small seeds. If you have a open bottom cage, without the grate on the bottom, then place seeds on the bottom in a shallow dish, they tend to learn to eat easier with this method. Is he making any sort of head bobbing, crying noise at all?

OP
L

Leena

Mar 31, 2015
India
Parrots
Alexandrine - Rio, Budgies - Blu and Tweety
I have got zupreem shipped to my residence. Meanwhile Rio enjoys a mix of apples and grapes. He loves carrots. Oranges are not his favorites. But his wants his feed of warm mashed chickpeas. He is trying very hard to fly even managed to take off but crash landed on me. Trying to fly seems to be the only thing on his mind. And his favorite toys are my five year old daughters barbie baby pram.

Most Reactions