macaw

Jun 12, 2009
texas
Parrots
caique and hopefully macaw soon
i want a macaw what species is the best small or big :red1::red::):blue:

safarinate

Aug 12, 2009
Birds are as individual as people the best course for you is to visit as many different birds you can find and interact with them you'll find a feathered sole mate easy enough.And that would be the best one to share your life with.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Oh hell ... I'm sure this is going to lead to trouble - but....

If you're asking this question in this way then I am quite sure that a Macaw is the wrong bird for you.

Why do you want a Macaw, and what do you mean by "best", or more importantly why would you suspect there is one that is objectively "best" rather than being best fit for your situation?

If you really are interested in bringing home a bird why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and what you hope to get from a relationship with a bird as well as what you can give. Then maybe we can answer this question.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I am going to jump in feet first too ...

Go get a Hy ... their are great macaws ... they are the biggest parrot on Earth ... nothing like a beautiful indigo blue parrot sitting on your shoulder to encompass just how important you are ... *sigh*

(and when you get bit by the 1500 lbs of bite pressure the bird can force on your finger ... well, just remember how much you loved the status that your beautiful parrot showed you had.)

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
Macaws are great to have-if you have the time. I have a blue and gold who needs almost constant attention and entertainment. If you do get one- start out small. Especially if you are only experienced with caiques. Their bite is hard- leaves a hard bruise! Buy the type of macaw that you are drawn to!

Darius

Sep 10, 2009
Fraser Valley British Columbia Canada
Parrots
2 African Grey Congo
1Yellowcrowned Amazon, 1 Indian ringneck
1 Severe Macaw
1 Harlequin Macaw
There is no such thing as a bad or good Macaw big or small they are what they are the best bird is the one that chooses you. I have 2 Macaws one big and one small they are both Macaws and I love them both, I agree visit as many rescues and breeders and birds that are being rehomed visit lots and ask question about all of them and the bird that wants to be with you the most out of all these birds is the right bird for you. Just remember these birds live a very long life and need lots of care and attention they are like haveing a 3 or 4 year old child in your care for ever and ever, they need lots of Attention and wood to chew and lots Of out of cage time. They are called companions birds for a reason and thats because they need so much attention from their Humans don't get a Macaw or any Large companion parrot until you have done allot of research and your willing to commit to this responsiblity for the rest of your life.

RKZX2

Jul 18, 2009
Media
Parrots
gold capped conure (Munchie)
moluccan cockatoo (Poppy)
"the best bird is the one that chooses you"

extremely well put. where i voluteer. (Foster Parrots) if you want to adopt a bird. i think you have to help out a minimum of 6 months, and the bird & the person have to have a very special relationship, and that exact phrase was used.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I truly believe that there is a genetic marker that makes you either a "Mac person" or a "non-mac person" I've referred to this as, "The Mac Gene" several times on this forum. And you either have it or you don't ... and the best thing ~ Macaws know who has "The Mac Gene", they can tell instantly.

If you think you have it, go hang out with some macaws, they'll let you know pretty quickly if you have it or not ...

And I 1,000% agree - "the Mac picks the human" and NOT the other way around.

(For the record, my other post in this thread was a complete joke - I hope everyone realizes this ... )

Gristleboy

Sep 26, 2009
Media
British Columbia
Parrots
"Octavio" Green Wing Mac,
"Maceo" Blue & Gold Mac, "The Electric Chickens"
Bigger is Better!:emoticonc
Srsly though, as others have said, a macaw is a huuuuuge commitment. Better be damn sure it's for you.
Also, my 2 cents on rescue birds is that a rescue is going to carry baggage from whatever situation it was rescued from & therefore be more of a challenge for a novice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts