Help

cindyluhoo

May 7, 2010
In the U.P
Parrots
Timneh African Grey Rocco
My African Grey Rocco is 14 months old. He is very friendly and very close to me. For about a week now, he is scarred of me, he wont come to me. He will now let my husband pet him, doesn't run away from him or my kids, JUST ME! What is going on? My family asks me "What did you do to him". Nothing has changed, I didn't do anything to him. I am very upset about it. Does anyone know what might be the problem? What can I do to trust me and become my "buddy" again? I just took him to a vet on Monday and had his nails and beak trimmed and the vet said he looks very healthy and we are doing a gret job caring for him. The vet said his behavior has changed because it is Spring time? Love to hear from someone who knows what the problem may be. Thanks Cindy

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hi Cindy: There may be a couple of things going on here. One, yes it is spring time and harmones can change the birds behavior for a while. Two he could be upset because you took him to the vet. Was it a first visit? He is still in the "terrible twos" age bracket and can go through a period where he rejects what has been his usual. They come pre wired to reject the mom and fly out on their own. That may be what is happening now more than the first idea. I would suggest you just act your normal self and not feel you have lost your buddy. Ask you family to understand the greys behavior too. Keep on loving him and talking to him if he will allow. If he will not allow have the patience to understand and know that this behavior will not be a lasting thing - it will disappear. Not to worry - just understand what is happening. Here is a link to help http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww28eiii.htm

Last edited:
OP
C

cindyluhoo

May 7, 2010
In the U.P
Parrots
Thank you very much! I hope your right. It makes sence. I took him to the vet after the behavior change. I will take your advice and definetly will check out the website. I feel a little better. Thanks again. I will keep you posted.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Sending you a PM.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
SB has given great advise, not much to add on.
Keep giving him love, attention and keep talking and talking.
It will pass in time, be patient.
Keep us posted

OP
C

cindyluhoo

May 7, 2010
In the U.P
Parrots
thanks I will. It is really nice to have others support and knowledge. I will keep you posted.

Most Reactions

Latest posts