help

noddy

Aug 13, 2009
hi i have an amazon red lord i love him to bits but ive just been given a male baby cockatiel i have not put it in with my parrot but it is in same room as my parrot
my parrot has been out and walking over the cockatiel cage talking to it like hello can i have a kiss and all that will the cockatiel be able to go in with my parrot and live in his cage with him ???????????????

:green1::D

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Hi there, welcome to the forum!

No, I'm sorry but I think that won't end well. I wouldn't reccomend keeping such a large bird with a cockatiel. Cockatiels are compatible with smaller species, such as parakeets or finches. But putting an amazon in there with him could be dangerous.

They can play outside of the cage together, but under your very close supervision. If you see even the slightest warning from either bird, separate them.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Noddy and welcome to the forum, in a simple answer to your question, NO, in my opinion it would be a very bad idea that would probably end in tragic results, for the most part cockatiels are dosile by nature and can co-exsist with many other types of birds, where as amazons can be very agressive towards most not of their kind........

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
In truth, nobody knows if a bird will like another bird so you can't just put a baby tiel in the same cage as an amazon but it might come to pass that they will like one another because I have a jardine that has a nanday as a companion as well as quaker that loves lovebirds so there are larger birds that like smaller ones only it's up to them and not to us so keep them separate and your fingers crossed and see what happens as the months go by.

OP
N

noddy

Aug 13, 2009
thanks for your replys i have the cockatiel in another cage and my amazon seems to like it as he is all over the cockatiel's cage i will see how they go on for a few weeks b4 i let the cockatiel out of his cage with my amazon and let you all know what happens

ScottinVentura

Nov 15, 2009
Ventura, CA
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon
I'm going to echo what others have said, and add that your zon walking all over the cage and talking isn't any kind of indication that he likes your tiel.

We have a white dove that someone brought to us after rescuing her from a crow attack. She's desperately in love with Boo, and Boo will climb all over her cage, talking to her, if I let him. But the few times they've both been out together, Boo does his best to chase her down and rip out her tail feathers. He doesn't like her at all.

OP
N

noddy

Aug 13, 2009
well just to let you all know my amazon has been out and he got in with my cockatiel he has been feeding the cockatiel and they are happy together i did take the amozon out and put him back in his cage but the birds have been screaming for each other so i have let them out and they have gone into the amazons cage its been 2 days now and all is well

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Wow, that's brave. A very big step to take. I'm glad all went well, but still, supervise them while they're together; you just never know.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
I echo Ratzy's concern, you really should have quarantined, baby birds often come with contagious diseases from the breeders.

greenbirdsf

Aug 20, 2010
Northern California, USA
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon
Also concerned about no quarantine....did you have the little guy checked at an Avian vet before you introduced him?? Might want to look into that.

Please be very careful when they are together...I wouldn't leave them unsupervised. Birds are all different individuals and you never know if they will bond or not, but the size difference is disconcerting. An Amazon could take out a cockatiel pretty easily.

Most Reactions