HELPPP!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
birds mask their symptoms well since they are prey animals, so do what you can for him, but know he won't show you how sick he really is and may pass.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I'm glad you got antibiotics! For future reference, if you ever need to take him to the vet again it is worth it to ask for a flavored suspension to be administered directly, as it's impossible to accurately calculate dosage in water--after all, he won't drink the same amount of water every day, so who knows if he's getting his full dose!! It's fairly common for livestock and cat/dog vets to give you dosage instructions to dilute the meds in water instead of feeding them directly, and if he's eating/drinking now then I think you should notice the eye start to clear up fairly quickly, but it's worth remembering for next time if there is a next time.

Do keep us updated as he recovers!! I'm so glad he's regaining his strength. If you decide to keep him, check this thread out: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
I'm glad you got antibiotics! For future reference, if you ever need to take him to the vet again it is worth it to ask for a flavored suspension to be administered directly, as it's impossible to accurately calculate dosage in water--after all, he won't drink the same amount of water every day, so who knows if he's getting his full dose!! It's fairly common for livestock and cat/dog vets to give you dosage instructions to dilute the meds in water instead of feeding them directly, and if he's eating/drinking now then I think you should notice the eye start to clear up fairly quickly, but it's worth remembering for next time if there is a next time.

Do keep us updated as he recovers!! I'm so glad he's regaining his strength. If you decide to keep him, check this thread out: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/
I will next time but i hope it wont happen. I will update you when i see any changes. And im definitely keeping him so thanks, i will read this link you sent.

Also small update. He is now not on the floor all the time. He is usually up on the stick thingy and i removed all the dishes i put on the floor to encourage him to climb on the cage bowls which he does. He now moves a lot more frequently. I can hear him "clicking" his beak which i dont know what it means but oh well. I just think that he is much better right now. Im watching him now try to figure out how to get to the food bowl. He is sooo cute.

Last edited:

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I will next time but i hope it wont happen. I will update you when i see any changes. And im definitely keeping him so thanks, i will read this link you sent.

Also small update. He is now not on the floor all the time. He is usually up on the stick thingy and i removed all the dishes i put on the floor to encourage him to climb on the cage bowls which he does. He now moves a lot more frequently. I can hear him "clicking" his beak which i dont know what it means but oh well. I just think that he is much better right now. Im watching him now try to figure out how to get to the food bowl. He is sooo cute.
Birds will grind their beak when they're relaxed, so that may be what you're hearing, however budgies also have some sweet noises that they make which sound like clicking so it could be that as well! It's probably a sign of a comfortable bird and nothing to be worried about

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
Birds will grind their beak when they're relaxed, so that may be what you're hearing, however budgies also have some sweet noises that they make which sound like clicking so it could be that as well! It's probably a sign of a comfortable bird and nothing to be worried about
One thing im noticing now is he is sneezing a lot. After sneezing he does some weird gesture by rubbing his head on the thingy he is standing on.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I mean that doesn't surprise me--I know it doesn't sound like the vet was specific about the type of infection they're treating with the antibiotics, but whenever I see crusty eyes in any animal, my first thought is upper respiratory infection. If he has an upper respiratory infection, then sneezing makes a lot of sense, especially now that he has antibiotics helping him clear the gunk out of his system. And the rubbing his head on the perch could be him trying to rub the gunk out of his eye? Keep an eye on it of course, and if it gets worse let the vet know, but it really sounds like you're headed for recovery!

If he starts hanging out on the floor again, or if you can see he's struggling to breathe, those are signs to call the vet. When birds struggle to breathe they often stand oddly, with their tails kind of tipped downward and their wings hung low. This forum is always happy to look at pics, if you ever check on him and you're worried about him.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Hello guys, i found this little guy and decided to keep him because he was out in the wild whole winter. I dont know anything about parrots so please help me. I caught him yesterday and today i bought him this cage and some food. He doesnt seem to be doing too well. He just stays in one place, doesnt make any noise. Should i keep him in a room where its not noisy?View attachment 58928View attachment 58929View attachment 58931
Oh, no! He/she doesn't look to be in good shape. Sitting on the bottom puffed up & sleeping a lot, etc. means something is def. wrong. I see you wrote that you don't have vets there? Are there any bird rescues around that you could call? Sometimes other vets (regular dog & cat ones) will know places you can call to at least ask questions & often pet shops will know too. The bird could definitely be sick (ingested poison, has an internal bacterial infection & needs antibiotcs, or possibly has a physical injury such as an attack from an animal, or hit something flying & has a concussion or worse). The best thing you can do right now & keep it warm, make sure it can get to water & buy some parakeet seed at a store & put those down low if you have to. You can do a shallow dish for the seed-like a jam lid. Keep it in a separate quiet room & maybe cover the cage half to 2/3rds to reduce stress. I would definitely try to call around to vets & pet shops. Somebody will hopefully know of someone you can call for the proper advice. Good luck!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Just talk to him a lot...it's interesting.....but somehow works.

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
I mean that doesn't surprise me--I know it doesn't sound like the vet was specific about the type of infection they're treating with the antibiotics, but whenever I see crusty eyes in any animal, my first thought is upper respiratory infection. If he has an upper respiratory infection, then sneezing makes a lot of sense, especially now that he has antibiotics helping him clear the gunk out of his system. And the rubbing his head on the perch could be him trying to rub the gunk out of his eye? Keep an eye on it of course, and if it gets worse let the vet know, but it really sounds like you're headed for recovery!

If he starts hanging out on the floor again, or if you can see he's struggling to breathe, those are signs to call the vet. When birds struggle to breathe they often stand oddly, with their tails kind of tipped downward and their wings hung low. This forum is always happy to look at pics, if you ever check on him and you're worried about him.
Hello, its me again, its about my budgie. He has been really active yesterday and day before, like non stop eating, jumping around and all around mlre energetic. Today i noticed that he has been hanging out on the floor again and he is sneezing a lot, like really a lot. He has been eating normally, but i dont really see him drinking water in which is antibiotic and vitamins. Im worried about his sneezing and being on the floor situation so i guessed i should write to you guys. I will put some pictures of him so that you can see how he looks like. Thanks a lot in advance, sorry for bothering you so much!

Attachments

• VID_20240427_193638_480x854.mp4
    3.8 MB
  • VID_20240427_193850_480x854.mp4
    7.2 MB
  • IMG_20240427_192817.jpg
    IMG_20240427_192817.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240427_192758.jpg
    IMG_20240427_192758.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 8

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
Hi again!! This is the issue with antibiotics administered in water--since you can't control the dose, if he stops drinking or drinks less one day then he isn't getting his full dose and now you have to worry about the infection developing a resistance. Also, I'm not sure if the vitamins were prescribed or if you're adding them on your own, but vitamin mixes have a flavor that a lot of birds don't like, and I think most on this forum would agree that you shouldn't put vitamin drops in water. Once he's feeling better, you can try to address vitamin deficiencies (especially vitamin A) by giving him veggies rich in those vitamins.

So you can eliminate the vitamins from the water mix today, and as for the antibiotics, I would call the vet as soon as you can and ask if the suspension they gave you is safe to give to the budgie directly or if it's too strong, and if it is safe then you need to know how many CC/mL to give. Can you take a picture of the meds they prescribed?

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
Hi again!! This is the issue with antibiotics administered in water--since you can't control the dose, if he stops drinking or drinks less one day then he isn't getting his full dose and now you have to worry about the infection developing a resistance. Also, I'm not sure if the vitamins were prescribed or if you're adding them on your own, but vitamin mixes have a flavor that a lot of birds don't like, and I think most on this forum would agree that you shouldn't put vitamin drops in water. Once he's feeling better, you can try to address vitamin deficiencies (especially vitamin A) by giving him veggies rich in those vitamins.

So you can eliminate the vitamins from the water mix today, and as for the antibiotics, I would call the vet as soon as you can and ask if the suspension they gave you is safe to give to the budgie directly or if it's too strong, and if it is safe then you need to know how many CC/mL to give. Can you take a picture of the meds they prescribed?
I dont know if its going to be of much use, because there is not much information on the box and its in serbian. The bigger bottle and box is vitamin called "Promotor L", the smaller one is antibiotic called "EvroFlox".

Attachments

• IMG_20240428_095559.jpg
    IMG_20240428_095559.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240428_095519.jpg
    IMG_20240428_095519.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240428_095421.jpg
    IMG_20240428_095421.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 8

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
I dont know if its going to be of much use, because there is not much information on the box and its in serbian. The bigger bottle and box is vitamin called "Promotor L", the smaller one is antibiotic called "EvroFlox".
The Promoter L is vtamins and amino acids in the L form. Appears to be a good product. Doasge is 1ml/l in drinking water. Personally i don't know why some couldn't be orally given, aside from the stress and inexperience.

The Evroflox I cannot find information about. It seems to be strictly serbian. The author of this thread though could possibly translate the information on the bottle as it will indicate the active ingredient.

It does however appear to be an injectible, with the alternative oral option.

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
The Promoter L is vtamins and amino acids in the L form. Appears to be a good product. Doasge is 1ml/l in drinking water. Personally i don't know why some couldn't be orally given, aside from the stress and inexperience.

The Evroflox I cannot find information about. It seems to be strictly serbian. The author of this thread though could possibly translate the information on the bottle as it will indicate the active ingredient.

It does however appear to be an injectible, with the alternative oral option.
On the bottle it says: 10ml oral solution, EvroFlox 10, for use on animals, 1ml of oral solution contains: Enrofloxacin 100mg.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wow! I'm late to this party, buttttt...
May I just express my heartfelt admiration and appreciation for you, for taking this on. You didn't just walk away... you CARED and you ACTED on it.

If you're interested...
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Hang in there!

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
Wow! I'm late to this party, buttttt...
May I just express my heartfelt admiration and appreciation for you, for taking this on. You didn't just walk away... you CARED and you ACTED on it.

If you're interested...
Certified Avian Vets
If none are near you...
Avian Veterinarians
In my opinion, any of the vets listed here should be better than a regular vet.
International contacts, too.

Hang in there!
Thanks for the help, i will see how the situation progresses and will look into your recommendations. He looks better then when i first got him so thats at least a good sign that he is getting healthier.

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
Hi guys, its me again, budgie is just fine, today he has been relentless, non stop moving in the cage and i can see he kinda wants to go out. He has been eating regularly, sometimes maybe even too much. Tomorrow im going to the pet shop to get a clicker and some treates to start taming him so that i can let him out of the cage. The question is how long should i give him these antibiotics and vitamins, the vet didnt say anything. He is doing a lot better, he is not sneezing so much but it still happens. Crusty eyes has been letting up but i can still see it. He is rubbing his head so i think he is trying to get it off.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
Hi guys, its me again, budgie is just fine, today he has been relentless, non stop moving in the cage and i can see he kinda wants to go out. He has been eating regularly, sometimes maybe even too much. Tomorrow im going to the pet shop to get a clicker and some treates to start taming him so that i can let him out of the cage. The question is how long should i give him these antibiotics and vitamins, the vet didnt say anything. He is doing a lot better, he is not sneezing so much but it still happens. Crusty eyes has been letting up but i can still see it. He is rubbing his head so i think he is trying to get it off.
Such good news!!!

Odd that they didn't tell you how long to give the antibiotics, but for any antibiotics it's super important that you give a full course, even if symptoms are gone--and if symptoms aren't gone after a full course, then you continue giving the antibiotics and contact your vet for further instructions, you may need a different broad spectrum antibiotic to completely wipe out the infection.

A typical course of antibiotics is 10-14 days, in my experience. I have had vets tell me to dose a pet for longer (a month or more), but never less than 10 days.

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
Such good news!!!

Odd that they didn't tell you how long to give the antibiotics, but for any antibiotics it's super important that you give a full course, even if symptoms are gone--and if symptoms aren't gone after a full course, then you continue giving the antibiotics and contact your vet for further instructions, you may need a different broad spectrum antibiotic to completely wipe out the infection.

A typical course of antibiotics is 10-14 days, in my experience. I have had vets tell me to dose a pet for longer (a month or more), but never less than 10 days.
Okay thanks a lottt!!

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
Such good news!!!

Okay thanks a lottt

OP
C

cikajova

Apr 22, 2024
Serbia
Parrots
one budgie
She has been doing this the whole dayyy. Is she sharpening her beak or what? She is non stop jumping in her cage, trying to eat everything. Why is she doing this and is it normal?

Attachments

• VID_20240503_183659_854x480 (1).mp4
    3.9 MB

Most Reactions

Latest posts