Henry is pulling out his feathers

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
Hi,

I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow for my GCC, Henry. Everytime I travel (I was gone the week of Labor Day), he gets bored and frustrated and tends to pull out his feathers.

While I was home last week and thought I had it under control, I came home today to find that he's pulled out several more and they look bad.

My appointment tomorrow isn't until 6:30 pm. Should I try to get him in sooner? He's really uncomfortable.

Last edited:
OP
B

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
I just uploaded a video. You can see how bad it is....

[ame="https://youtu.be/aHMBjpDT2OM"]BloomingPink Studios - YouTube[/ame]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You may need a cone or something---you don't want that to go much further into self-mutilation. Try to remain calm and keep things as consistent as possible.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
O my so sorry,!! Can you mist him it might get him to stop. Does anything distract him?? Could any irritant have gotten in him,,?? Poor little baby,!!!! Who took care if him when you traveled?

OP
B

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
Thanks. I'm trying to distract him now (sunflower seeds seem to work a little), but now he is really uncomfortable and keeps twitching and irritating the worst spot even more.

While I was gone, my husband took care of him...but my husband doesn't spend anytime with him so Henry tends to get very sad and bored.

Anyway, I am a bit concerned waiting until tomorrow evening, since now, there are more feathers and a little blood. Yesterday it was just one little spot. Today is much worse!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I saw he has scabs by his face, ad he can't pull those he must be scratching. I don't know if you wear perfume or lotions, but if you stop for now. I don't know if he could have alergies to food or something....I would rinse him off in tepid water.. this seems more than feather picking

OP
B

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
He does act like he is uncomfortable everywhere...he keeps itching all his feathers. While sitting on my arm, he just keeps itching everything!

I don't know how to rinse him in tepid water without a fight LOL...he doesn't like when I hold him too much (he steps up, but likes to be in control...doesn't really like me to touch him too much).

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Then mist him throughly. If you don't have one on hand I would get hubby to go get one from you from Walmart or something. I think rinse him would be a good start. Abd see if you can take off work and get the vet to see him sooner tomorrow. Something is going on.... Was his cage cleaned with something,? Did hubby give any unusual foods? Has he been exposed to other birds?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
How long have you had him? When did this start? When did he scratch his face? Do you have a cat, or any other pets? Could he have mites? This is rare, unless he had them when you got him...does anyone smoke in the house? Do you use room freshners or anything like that?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Also, if it is compulsive (like thumb-sucking), see if you can find a "fidget". My over-preener likes the small colorful c-links that they sell on Amazon. She will twiddle then around 40% of the time instead of feathers.
We started with one at a time, and now I make elaborate chains that she unlinks.

OP
B

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
I clean his cage every couple days. I use vinegar and water. I cleaned it yesterday.

I think he's been eating the usual, but I'll ask Dave.

I'll try to switch the appointment until sooner and rearrange some meetings.

He is definitely one unhappy fella.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
If the vinegar was to strong it could be irritating him, especially if he had picked. Put a towel on the bottom of the sink and use the sink sprayer to gentle rinse him. You can spray up and let the water fall back down in him instead if spraying him directly. Then take a rag and just water and wipe down the cage and perches, in case the residual vinigsr is stinging and irritating him. It's worth taking every approach to help him and figure this out. Vinager stings it could be that

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
You aren't using any other cleaners or candles though, right? No scented products...
no preservatives....no salt...
Check humidity as well...
And make sure you get blood-work and at least a gram-stain.Also- try to to over-attend to the bad behavior (if attention-oriented, this can make it worse).

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Noodles did you look st her album? He has raw patches in face too. Becca please rinse him , if it's OCD getting wet will help snap him out of it and if something is on him this will help him. Sit him on the towel in the bottom if the sink and spray up let the water fall on him. Please keep us posted. Poor poor baby!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Did you rinse him yet? You can use corn starch or flour and dab it on if he is bleeding a lot. If not bleeding a lot don't do this, only if you need to stop the bleeding. He is going to bleed some tearing at himself like and a little bit ok Is he willing to go to sleep and calm down yet?

OP
B

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
You aren't using any other cleaners or candles though, right? No scented products...
no preservatives....no salt...
Check humidity as well...
And make sure you get blood-work and at least a gram-stain.Also- try to to over-attend to the bad behavior (if attention-oriented, this can make it worse).

I've had him 2 years. I also don't use anything scented. And the cleaning I do is a weak white vinegar/water spray i make myself....no salt, no preservatives

What do I need to keep in mind regarding the humidity? Our air conditioner went belly-up and it's been humid all weekend. It's getting fixed tomorrow morning.

I will be sure to get the tests.

OP
B

bekah

Sep 18, 2017
Did you rinse him yet? You can use corn starch or flour and dab it on if he is bleeding a lot. If not bleeding a lot don't do this, only if you need to stop the bleeding. He is going to bleed some tearing at himself like and a little bit ok Is he willing to go to sleep and calm down yet?

Yes, it's getting to be bed time now. Will that stop the picking? Will he be able to sleep?

I tried to rinse him, but he kept biting me and flew away and then wouldn't come to me at all. Finally got him calmed down.

I don't think it's bleeding profusely. Just a new drop about the size of a shelled sun flower seed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok let him rest. You'll get help tomorrow. Do hard to see them suffer I know....

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
CORN STARCH MIX PACKED ONTO THE BROKEN FEATHER---didn't read the post fully but that can stop bleeding...
Pulling the feather is another option, but observation is needed after the fact to make sure he clots etc....

Most Reactions