He's Back

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Kiwi-3 year old Nanday Conure, Loui-5 year old Gold-capped Conure!
So when I first came to this forum I had just gotten a sun conure(Sonny) and a nanday conure (Kiwi). I had to rehome Sonny because it was very difficult trying to train 2 wild birds at once. Then I got Loui, (copper head conure) and 2 Cockatiels(Salty and Pepper). I still have all my birds and love them to peices. Well today the people that took Sonny came to my house and asked if I wanted him back because he bit the guy and drew blood. I naturally agreed to take him back because I didnt want to get rid of him in the first place. I dont understand why Sonny (sun conure) bit the man. Since he has been back home he has played on his toys, sat on my shoulder and gave me kisses, chewed on my hair and he has even talked a bit. He hasnt shown not one sign of aggression since he's been back. He played with the other birds too, and was super happy to see his buddy, Kiwi. Why do y'all think he lashed out at the other people? I'm wondering if they were mean to him, or maybe didnt let him out of his cage because they were afraid of him? The woman openly admitted to yelling at him when he got to screaming at her, but didnt she realize that he was only trying to get attention? I thought that since they already had a bird they would be familiar with taking care of Sonny. But I was wrong. Oh well, I'm just glad he is back home with a family that loves him and that will take care of him.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Since they had other birds, shouldn't you quarantine Sunny again before letting him playing with your other birds....They just wasn't used to a Conure scream, that drives some people nuts, even me! And I have big birds, but just could not stand a conure scream. People used to ask me to take in Conures and I decline every one of them.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Why did you continue to keep on getting more birds when you couldn't care for your original two? I know you said you love them all but I just think when you get a companion you shouldn't get rid of them because it's difficult. If they weren't tame you should have educated yourself enough to know what you were getting into. I am glad though that you re-homed him to a household that was nice enough to contact you when it wasn't working out for them. I hope you have the time now to deal with untamed birds.....

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I agree with the others. And....parrots bite. It is one of the ways they express displeasure, fear, and such. Who knows what may have caused it. If people got rid of their birds everytime they bit there wouldn't be any birds left in homes.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I have an M2, she can scream all day at her loudest and it doesn't faze me the slightest bit (except for worry about the neighbors). A conure scream, five seconds and I'm one step from insanity. My M2 may be loud but doesn't have that high pitch... kudos to you for being able to handle it.

I wouldn't just assume that they 'mistreated' him because he bit them. A bird in a new environment, around people it doesn't know, is going to be more apt to bite. A stressed bird = an unpredictable bird. You know the bird, you are used to him. You may not realize it but you probably pick up on subtle body language cues and avoid bites without even thinking about it. Back at your home, he is in an environment that he is comfortable with and is going to go back to being an easy going bird. Its A LOT of stress for a bird to change homes. I wouldn't assume that they don't know how to handle or care for parrots either. Sometimes you do get bit in the process of getting to know a new bird (some of them aren't very clear on their body language and only show the slightest most subtle sign that they are uncomfortable).

They probably tried to deal with the screaming and when it was coupled with the bite, it pushed them over. Next time I would try working with the new people before they take a new bird. Make sure that they have heard that particular type of bird scream, inconsolably, at its worst and can handle taking that bird home in the first place. I used to always want a sun, then I heard one. I cant even handle the green cheeks.

If you for whatever reason feel that a particular birds needs are beyond what you can provide, than re-homing the bird is in its best interest but you have to match the bird to the new home (and not just let them take it because it was pretty).

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
I have an M2, she can scream all day at her loudest and it doesn't faze me the slightest bit (except for worry about the neighbors). A conure scream, five seconds and I'm one step from insanity. My M2 may be loud but doesn't have that high pitch...
Haha I CANNOT stand a cockatoo scream im like you with conures. i actually kind of enjoy a sun scream:) is that weird?? haha kudos to YOU for being able to handle a cockatoo:)

OP
C

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Sonny isnt in a cage with my other birds. He is by himself right now. He was on the playtoy with Kiwi though. And as far as not being able to handle him, that is NOT why I rehomed him in the first place. He was extremely timid and was constantly breathing hard. I thought that an environment with no kids would be better for him. I only rehomed him to do what I thought was best. I got other birds because after I got Kiwi tamed down I didnt want him to be lonely. I dont think I did anything wrong. Now that I know more about the birds that I have I care for them very well. I dont appreciate being told that I have no common sense when I got birds and rehomed one for his own good. Now that he's back with me he seems fine. He's not having the anxiety that he use to have. I dont see that I did anything wrong and I dont appreciate the attitudes I got here. I love all of my birds and dont plan to let any of them go any time soon. And a conure scream does not bother me. I've got 3 conures and I find them to be a joy for me. Please stop judging me because of a choice that I made for my birds. I think that is pretty un-necessary. I took 2 wild birds into my home and turned one of them into my best friend. After he was tame I added a few birds. I would have loved to have gotten Sonny back but at the time the people didnt want to give him back. But you'll notice that rather than let any harm come to him or send him to yet another home I took him back. It killed me to rehome him in the first place but like I said I was concerned about his well being. Thank you, for making me feel like a malicious, cold, and uncaring person. I appreciate that.

OP
C

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Oh, and also, I'll have you know that before I rehomed Sonny I came into this forum and asked everyone what their opinion on the matter was. I explained his situation and his behavior and it was THIS group that helped me to decide to rehome him because everyone seemed to agree with me that maybe he was just too timid to be around small kids.

Most Reactions