New guy with a couple of questions

gibson981

May 21, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo the sun conure. Hatched in mid-January.
Hello. I am about to get a Sun Conure. I already have the cage. It's about 36"W x 24"D x 36"H (bird living space measurements). I want to have the cage fully prepared before I bring the bird home. I plan on lining the drop pan (which is about 6 inches below the bottom of the living space) with newspaper. What should I do about the bottom of the living space? On one hand, I want to leave it uncovered so the bird waste can drop through to the newspaper covered pan. On the other hand, I want to put some sort of bedding down. What is best? I do plan on putting in several perches, a little hut for the bird to hide in, several toys (hanging and others). The cage has spots for 3 food bowls inside and two more in the play top. I plan on keeping different foods in each bowl on the inside. Should I always keep one with water in it at all times? Or should I only offer water a certain number of times per day? I don't want the bird to ever be dehydrated. Also, I wonder if it's good to always have water where the bird can play in it when I'm not around? I appreciate this and any other advice for a new conure guy like me.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Water should be available 24 hours a day. I also have 3 bowls in my cage. One always has water, another pellets, also 24/7, and the third is his treats/veggies/birdie muffin/ or fruits which is added in the morning and usually taken out a few hours later.

OP
G

gibson981

May 21, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo the sun conure. Hatched in mid-January.
Thanks Bobioden. What do you think about the bottom of the living space? Should I cover it in some sort of bedding? Or just leave it open for waste to drop through to the pan?

artemis

May 20, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Pepper, Sun Conure/
Echo, Green Cheek Conure/
Penelope Peanut, Maroon Bellied Conure
No need for bedding on the bottom of the cage - it's just a hazard. Go with the newspaper in the bottom tray, as you've planned. You might also think about installing a corner shelf-type perch in the cage as well as regular perches, to give your bird a chance to stretch his feet out. You might also consider training your bird to drink from a water bottle, as it insures his water will always remain fresh and clean (no poop soup!).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Water bottle can be just as nasty as regular water dishes! I've done both through the years. I just line the bottom of my cages with newspapers. Water should be offered at all times, I use only filtered water for my birds. If they make it dirty, just take it out and change it, no biggie. Birds will be birds. Be sure to be real careful with Bird Hut! Some members and others had real bad experiences with them, they either get their foot caught in the strings and chew off their foot or someone's Sun Conure hung himself cause he couldn't free himself.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Heya it sounds like you might have the same cage as me!!

IMG_20120504_172846-1.jpg

I lined the bottom with newspaper and you should always have one dish full of water. I use one dish for food seeds/pellets and the other for fruit/veggies. I really like the cage, got it from petco. Peatri loves the play perch on the top!

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
As others have stated, I have always read that it's best to have one dish for pellets, one dish for veggies/fruits (that should be removed after a couple hours so bacteria doesn't grow), and one dish for water. You could also use a water bottle for water so that the water doesn't get as gross as fast, but you must make sure the bottle is working every day and make sure your bird knows how to drink from the bottle. You also must replace the water in the water bottle at least once a day with filtered or bottled water. :)

That is a good sized cage for a Sun Conure! No, do not put any substrate at the bottom, just newspaper under the grate will suffice. Yes, be careful with the huts. A lot of birds like them, some don't, but you must inspect it daily to make sure there are no loose strings, etc. Be careful! You could also get one of the corner cuddle things, not sure exactly what they are called. But you would also have to inspect it daily.

Good luck with your bird! :)

Most Reactions