He's heeeeeeeeeeeeere!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
May I introduce you to...PARKER!

He's my handsome vos/RS (tbd). He is already adapting really well, talking and letting me hold him, and his vocabulary is exceptional! He sings the beginning of the song "a bushel and a peck", says "are you a good boy (sometimes says girl instead)", hello, Good Porker" (his old name that had to go, hence the new name Parker), has an evil laugh, among a ton of other things. This big boy is truly amazing!

Last edited:
OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Another one

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
What a cute guy Parker is :D! Congratulations Chris! I see now why his name is Parker lol. Sounds like a sweetheart already. I bet he's adorable to hear talk ;) I love their voices.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
I was hoping to find a post from you when I came to the forum this evening! Congratulations on bringing Parker home (love the name, btw)!!! Sounds like things are off to a great start - hope to see more photos as you guys settle in together.

How was the car ride home? Thought of you as we were driving to and from Maine this weekend. Big road trip for Baxter!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

GB, he was a dream. He was chatty for the first ten minutes, frequently asking me if I was a good boy (context, much?!). He went completely silent for the rest of the trip. Once I got him home and cleaned his cage, he settled in and started talking about half an hour later. He's an adaptable little bugger! Even DH is amused by his chatter!

Raven, I will post video tomorrow maybe of his chattering. He's a talkative one. It's just adorable :). Discovering what he can say is so much fun. We just discovered he says "birdie birdie birdie" really quickly. Just amazing!

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome Home, Parker!

Congratulations, Chris! Parker's a beauty, I love his new name!

I'm glad he's off to a great start in his new home. Looking forward to hearing him talk.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks Allee! Honestly I can't get over him asking me again and again if I was a good boy. It really betrayed an insecurity in him with leaving the family he had known for 3 years. It's the second time I've heard a parrot talk in context and it's very poignant. I'll post a video tomorrow.

He's on a new diet, which I'm beginning to question(Higgins debybdrated fruit mix, but the store owner has seven eclectus, she feeds them this, and the one I saw was happy and looked wonderful!)

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
So pleased for you, congratulations!
I love in context talk, such smart things, these parrots :) Sounds like you're smitten!
can't wait to see the videos :)

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Labell is kind of the electus food expert... I think she will chime in but fresh and varied diet is best.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations, Chris! I'm so happy to see that Parker is home and adapting well to his new circumstances. Keep the pics coming!

And btw, Doublete is right. Parker's diet should consist of 80% veggies, fruits, grains, sprouts and legumes. Small portions of seeds and nuts for treats are also good. Variety is key, and Vitamin A is especially important. Ekkies are very diet sensitive, and are especially vulnerable to disorders that spring from either vitamin deficiencies or over-supplementation.

Last edited:
OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks guys! He's wonderful except his calls this morning *wince*

To be clear, my intention is mostly fresh fruit and veg. This will supplement the diet. The store owner gives it to her guys so I figured why not, it's better than the supreme he's on. But I just read about how dehydrated fruit increases sugar concentrations, and I know sugar might be an issue for ekkies.

I'm working to identify what foods he likes. He won't take bananas or pineapple, but love celery. So we have a beginning of future meals :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Congrats on Parker! You're in for a lot of fun:)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Sugar in fruit and the sugar we think of are really two different things. I often would dehydrate fruits and veggies for mine what I would be concerned about with commercial brands is if there is sulfur added which I wouldn't feed.

There are a lot of great posts in the eclectus section on diet choices and variety. Congrats on your boy.:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congrats Chris and welcome home Parker! Love his new name and he should get used to it without a hitch since it's so close to that other, ahem, less desirable name.
So happy for you all! He is a beautiful boy:)

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

A plus to working where I do: our floor is provided a basket of fruits to share. I'm taking a pear and kiwi to him to see if he likes those. I feel like a little provider, love it!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
To get them to try new stuff, I chop my Eckies food up into practically mush which they gobble like little pigs even if they wouldnt TOUCH the individual ingredients in bigger chunks, or would throw them out ofthe dish

Most Reactions