birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
I want a couple of parakeets in ahuge flight cage jsut to watch, a lilac crowned amazon, and a blue and gold macaw and maybe a green cheek conure and of course i wouldn't trade my Sidney boy for anything although when Misty goes I'm through with cockatiels!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I didn't see anything about an Amazon in there. :33:

No offense Nicole, I know that 'zons are amazing birds, but they just don't strike me personally ... besides I don't need anything hormonal like one of the 'hot 3'

OP
L

Laine

Feb 11, 2007
Thanks for the input everyone!! =D

I actually have visited an aviary with sun conures a while ago and the other day I found a Caique at a pet shop in my area and I must say that between the two of them, the caique was much, MUCH quieter. I played with her for about half an hour to fourty-five minutes and she didn't really make any loud screams like the conures, but babbled on in birdy language quietly and mimicked a couple of whistles! It was really very cute.

To be honest, upon handling the two of them, I found myself much more comfortable with the Caique. She was a bit heavier then her small size made her appear! She was also alot more affectionate and cuddley then the conure I handled at the breeder's. The conure was cute and affectionate, but she was a little nippy and kind of made me nervous with her quick actions; as though she was scared of me even though her breeder was right next to me. The caique on the other hand was content to sit on my lap and be petted, as well as playing with a pen on the table in the little "playroom" the shop had set up for previews.

So I think I'm definitely going to have to go for the Caique! Sorry to all the conure lovers out there! I'm going to try and contact a breeder in my area and find a handfed baby to purchase in about a month when my bird room is prepped and everything's ready to go. I don't want to rush into this, I'd rather have everything good to go and have food stocked to be sure the new baby will be comfy and stress-free.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Oh boy ... there's gonna be a new baby around the board!! Hey, now that we helped you out don't forget about our fee ... LOTS OF PICTURES!

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
thats great that you decided on a caique! but may just point out one thing, that caiques personaltiy is not always all caiques personalties, and same withe the conure. you could get a conure likea the caique and a caique like the conure. Im sure you already new that but thauight id let you so you know thast not all birds are the same.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
yeah great point it's more the indiviual bird than the specific species all I'm saying is if you want the caique great but don't assume they are all alike

Most Reactions