New

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
Hello, everyone. I've read some posts on this forum before, but just now joined. My husband and I have eight birds: five Budgies, one Sun Conure, and two Cockatiels. Also, three dogs. This might sound weird to some, but we've met people with more birds and dogs than us. (I also follow someone on YouTube who has about 30 birds, plus dogs and other animals).

Strangely, owning eight doesn't feel like much more work than three or four did. Maybe because there are only three species. We are content with our beautiful flock (and dogs).

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome! I have three dogs as well and just one little birdie ❤️

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello, everyone. I've read some posts on this forum before, but just now joined. My husband and I have eight birds: five Budgies, one Sun Conure, and two Cockatiels. Also, three dogs. This might sound weird to some, but we've met people with more birds and dogs than us. (I also follow someone on YouTube who has about 30 birds, plus dogs and other animals).

Strangely, owning eight doesn't feel like much more work than three or four did. Maybe because there are only three species. We are content with our beautiful flock (and dogs).
A lot of people on PF have more than eight birds. I find the mess from my eight budgies (now six) wasn't much more work than one or two- you need to vacuum or sweep anyway with only one, right? My problem with having eight budgies was that their cages (two birds in each and two birds with their own cages for five cages) are pretty large (24x30x24) and take up a lot of space in my very small house. I now have only six budgies (two to a cage) and only three cages so I have more room for my stuff. I'd like to keep it down to three cages if possible. Plus when we travel to visit family for more than four days at Christmas we bring all the birds with us in our van, cages and all, and that's a huge hassle but the birds don't seem to mind at all except after the sun goes down we have to keep a light on so they don't get spooked. But loading all those cages into the van when its freezing out and our dirt driveway is snowy and icy is very difficult. Thank God we've never slipped and dropped one of these heavy iron cages but there have been close calls.

OP
L

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
A lot of people on PF have more than eight birds. I find the mess from my eight budgies (now six) wasn't much more work than one or two- you need to vacuum or sweep anyway with only one, right? My problem with having eight budgies was that their cages (two birds in each and two birds with their own cages for five cages) are pretty large (24x30x24) and take up a lot of space in my very small house. I now have only six budgies (two to a cage) and only three cages so I have more room for my stuff. I'd like to keep it down to three cages if possible. Plus when we travel to visit family for more than four days at Christmas we bring all the birds with us in our van, cages and all, and that's a huge hassle but the birds don't seem to mind at all except after the sun goes down we have to keep a light on so they don't get spooked. But loading all those cages into the van when its freezing out and our dirt driveway is snowy and icy is very difficult. Thank God we've never slipped and dropped one of these heavy iron cages but there have been close calls.

Great! I went to another bird forum when we had seven. A few people seemed to think that a flock of seven was outrageous. I've met, or read comments by, many owners with more. As you say, we would be cleaning up after one anyway.

We actually have three cages, too. The five Budgies and two Cockatiels are in large flight cages. The Conure's cage is a bit smaller because she is young, but we plan to change it within the next few months.

I am glad that your birds are able to travel with you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts