Hey guys, from West Canada!

ChickadeeStudios

Mar 31, 2015
Saskatchewan, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Male Eclectus, Pineapple Conure, Zebra Finch
Hey all!

I thought it was high time I join an official site dedicated to parrots!

I'm a university student in Saskatchewan, I've been been around birds all my life. My grandma and my mom are pretty much obsessed with them. Over the years we've had cockatiels, budgies, lovebirds (who had babies), and sparrows (we found one outside, took him in, and he stayed with us for 13 years!!) Currently in my house we have a congo African Grey (Mango, 10), a double yellow headed Amazon (Jorja, 5), a disabled male Eclectus (Marty, 6), a pineapple Conure (Mingus, 5), and a zebra finch (Tanner, 9).

On top of that, my mom and I work closely with the Saskatoon Parrot Rescue. We're the only parrot rescue in Saskatchewan, and we don't just work with Saskatoon, we work with all the cities, towns, villages, hamlets, and farms in Southern Saskatchewan! The rescue is owned by a wonderful couple, and we have a fair number of members.

Because we're the only rescue in the province, I feel like we have a LOT of responsibility to help out and educate the people of our province. Every time we set up at a pet expo, people say "I didn't know there was a parrot rescue here!" or "I got a lot of info from you guys!" which is fantastic; that's part of what we're here to do!

I post quite regularly on Reddit's parrot section, but once I get the hang of this place, I'm sure I'll be all over here as well. I'm excited to meet everyone and see all your wonderful feathered friends!!

-Dani:green:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Welcome to the forums! And it's great to see someone here from Saskatoon, nonetheless someone who works with the parrot rescue! You'll find this forum has an exceptional community and lots of wonderful information for all species. :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi Dani! Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see photos of your feathered sweethearts!

Robin

Apr 26, 2014
Media
Mass.
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hi Dani, welcome, do you have a lot of birds at your rescue? Do you re-home them or just take care of them at a rescue? Keep up the good work,
Sue

mikebike

Nov 2, 2014
Surrey BC Canada
Parrots
I currently have 9 budgies 2 pair in nest boxes

5 love birds 2 pair nesting

I 6 year old M Cockatieel
Welcome to the forum from another Canadian on the West coast BC.

OP
ChickadeeStudios

ChickadeeStudios

Mar 31, 2015
Saskatchewan, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Male Eclectus, Pineapple Conure, Zebra Finch
Hi Dani, welcome, do you have a lot of birds at your rescue? Do you re-home them or just take care of them at a rescue? Keep up the good work,
Sue

Hey! We have 18, if not 20 birds right now; we're at full capacity! The couple, Treena and Kelly, that own the rescue keep the birds at their place, but there are members who have taken in a foster bird or two for awhile. They stay at Treena and Kelly's place, where they assess the birds and their behaviour for awhile. If it's felt like the birds are in good shape to be rehomed, then we add them to our little book of adoptable birds, and spread the word about them! If they have some behavioural or medical issues, they stay with the rescue until we all feel that they're suitable to be rehomed. Treena is fabulous when it comes to behaviour issues with birds, she just really understands them and changes them so positively.

It all depends on who we're giving the birds to as well. We're not going to hand over a feisty Amazon to a well-meaning beginner; but we may hand him over to a person we really trust who has experience with larger birds and any behaviour issues. Some birds end up staying with the rescue permanently! Such is the case with Pebble the cockatoo; I'll have to write about her more but she is a DOLL! Kelly fell in love with her and they are best buddies. He carries Pebble on his shoulder everywhere he goes sometimes- even the bar!

I don't know everything about the legal side of adoptions, but I'm pretty sure that if we give a bird to someone, and that person can no longer care for them, the bird has to come back to us. Or if Treena or Kelly feels that that person isn't caring for the bird well at all, we can take the bird back. So far, that hasn't happened! We really try to make sure we give these birds forever homes with amazing people!:)

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hello from sunny southern Ontario. I'd love to be on your list of potential adopters. However I am too old and my wife has stated I can bring home no more large parrots. D.D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

Latest posts