Hi All. Hoping for some quick advice re Spice Finch

FinchPapa

May 24, 2012
Sorry I did not introduce myself via the regular thread. I am a total mess right now.

I will keep this brief to spare everyone from a grown man sobbing via words. My current job is as a North American Volunteer Organizer for the Sea Shepherd's Conservation Society. For those unfamiliar, we are the group behind Whale Wars. I only mention this because I think animals are god's gift to the planet and probably like many here, I like them better than people. :-O

OK, cut to the chase. I got a couple of Spice Finches last year as babies. They are siblings, not mates. Spice Finches are incredibly attached to their cage partner. Today I had a nightmare come true. My little boy finch got his leg trapped between 2 cage accessories and snapped it badly. Also, he broke his tail feathers trying to free himself. I drove 100 mph to an avian Vet. I am IRRATIONAL when it comes to animals and suffering.

There is GREAT NEWS! He will be OK. The problem is that he will be in the avian hospital for 4 days. His sister here at home is absolutely freaking out. They have never spent 1 second apart except when I trim nails and they can see each other then.

I feel SO bad for her!! Is there anything I can do to comfort her until her brother gets home? If it were one of my cats I could simply shower it with affection but obviously that can't be done with a stressed out spice finch that is not hand fed. My finches are amazing and brilliant, with distinct personalities. However, they don't like to be handled.

What can I do? She is breathing fast and her eyes are bugging out. She is also chirping in a way she never has (despair?).

I am new to birds. How can I make her comfortable?

I hope someone can help. If not help her, help ME! I am a basket case and am stressed beyond belief just looking at her!! They love me singing to them and they fall asleep when i do sing. Well, it is not helping here.

Rob

Cliffordsmom

Mar 6, 2012
Oklahoma
Parrots
Sun Conure (Clifford), two budgies (Odin and Diana), and CAG (Bongo)
Does she have a mirror? Can she go to the vet and visit her brother???? It will be ok. Try a mirror, or a birdie noise cd maybe? I know nothing about finches, I am sorry.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
First off I want to thank you for all you do, we are avid followers of the Sea Shepherds and I even got to meet a few volunteers last year at the Baltimore veg fest :)

There are only two things I could really think of, one would be to give your lonely finch a mirror until you get your boy back, it won't replace his company but it may at least make her feel a little less lonely. The other thing would be to see if you could take her in to be kept with the male at the vet. The latter seems like it may just cause them both more stress than anything so I would try the mirror thing first.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I was going to suggest a mirror too. Also can you play audio of finches? It may calm her. I hope your little boy is OK.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Welcome to the forum, although I wish it was under better curcumstances. Can you ask your vet if they will board your other finch there so she can be with your other finch?

OP
F

FinchPapa

May 24, 2012
Wow. You guys are fantastic with your fast replies.

I am a bit of a lunatic and introduced them to mirrors as babies and their cage is like a tacky adult movie set already. They adore staring in the mirrors to satiate and reinforce their self-awareness are magnificent looking specimens.

When they tire of the modeling and obsessive preening they each turn into Linda Blair and start to talk to the "3rd and 4th" invaders and often peck the intruders. Finch birds are said not to enjoy toys but my kids can't get enough mirrors.

The suggestion of bringing her there to be with her brother is one I had not thought of. It is brilliant and I will ask the vet tomorrow. He is currenlty in an incubator on pain meds so it can't happen this evening. Sadly however, she seems to be in immediate distress so I will try to loop Youtube videos I actually have of THEM (audio loop). Similar to playing a human baby their own cries to calm/quiet them, this maybe exactly an answer until I can find out about joining them when he is out of the incubator.

They will charge me $28 a night for her to join him, but I would sell my car if needed to make it happen. I still have no idea what the bill will be. I signed authorization up to $1,000 and asked them to call if it approaches that.

I hope to God it does not come down to that because first, I give every dime i have to captain Watson and second, the "pain" i see her in would throw all rationality out the window and this would create a problem. But, as long as he is not suffering I don't even know what my "price" is based solely on the factor that his sister misses him and that sucks the life out of my brain.

I will report back how the audio helped and let you know about the bunkmate idea as well. Animal people are the finest humans alive and I thank you all for the fast answers because it calmed me down. She certainly will do at least a bit better if I am calm.

I am not sure if I am being too forward posting this, but here she is as of 5 minutes ago, ALONE, in her Hagen McMansion. :grey::grey:

http://photobucket.com/ParrotForum

Now, let me tell you all what has happened since i began preparing this post (first sentence written 35 minutes ago).

Due to peer understanding, I have calmed down and now she is calmer. The miracle?? She just took a long bath! Sad birds don't take splashy baths. I credit you strangers and this forum and will never forget the help that resulted simply by telling my disastrous day to all of you and got instant responses that proved the PF community as noble, compassionate animal lovers. I went immediately to finch forum, filled out the registration and was ready to ask for help. Well, after the registration process i was told NO POSTING until a mod approved my account! I am not sure the admins quite understand the Internet "fad" OF DESIRE FOR INSTANT ANSWERS AND GRATIFICATION!

I could not be more thrilled as it led me to a bunch of crazy parrot folk. I can't believe you own those dinosaurs! They scare the **** out of me when they get less than 3 feet from me. GORGEOUS creatures, but I actually suspect they are smarter than me and, well, that's freaky!!

MY birds are brilliant and never cease to amaze me that a 2 ounce body in toothpicks are so intelligent with their rice grain noggins!!

Finally, now that i have posted WAYYYY too much (which is therapy that will translate to me handling her and the situation better, here is a link to my Ebay "ME" if anyone wants to see a video that has been life altering to many of our new volunteers with the Sea Shepherd's. I like sharing it with animal folk.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=robertsellstheranch

Really sorry for the length and really sorry if my EBay page is considered spammy by anyone.

Thanks folks! If there is interest I'll report back on health progress of FinchyFinch McFinch The 1st. (YES~! THAT'S HIS NAME! STOP MOCKING ME! if there is interest.

I will also update the pschii of well, as you can guess, MRS. FinchyFinch McFinch. FYI, I have had 5 cats named Kitty. I was ashamed at the vet the first time until they informed me that 65% of their feline patience records have the name as Kitty.

What a bunch of lazy BUMS, right???

Oh, wait.....

Rob

Last edited:

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Hope all is going well with Mr. and Mrs. FinchyFinch McFinch! (love the names!!!) Great work you are doing!!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I can't believe none of us thought to mention that just by you yourself calming down a bit it should help. Birds are very intelligent creatures and they are very quick to pick up on our emotions. They are also flock animals and most likely your little finches see you as the leader of their flock, if you are upset and distressed, they are going to pick up on that and it is going to stress them out as well. Do yourself a favor and take a breath, acknowledge that you are doing everything possible for little FinchyFinch McFinch(The 1st :) ) and relax. I'm sure he is in good hands with the vet. Please do keep us updated as to how they are doing, and yes, this is the best forum ever ;)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I just read your posts. welcome to the forum I looked at the picture of the cage and only have one suggestion as I think everybody has already given you great ideas. I used to have a java rice finch and also zebra finches over the years and now have a spaish timbrado canary witch is also a finch and like pulling string toys that they make for birds. They are usually plastic that hang from the cage with a lot of small almost thread like strings knotted thru it they love to tug preen and chew the strings. And I think you should be so proud of the work you do. God Bless You Alison and sweetie pie:D

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
im a little late but i hope i can help. i have 8 finches, four societies, and 4 gouldians. i also LOVE whale wars and commend you for what you do! i also sing to my finches and they love it, i used to think i was crazy, but now im not the only one lol. you culd maybe put a nest or beanie baby in for security, sit and talk to her, play soft finch calls and music. you could even give her some plastic eggs made specially for finches, they make them to get finches ready to sit on eggs. maybe if you put some in, it would keep her busy. hope i helped and welcome, the other members had fantastic ideas too and i second the idea of boarding them together. good luck!

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I came on a little too late, but I'm glad they're doing well.
I rescued two finches from Petsmart (where i work), because they both had broken wings, and they are sooooo sweet.
I'm learning their little chirps and what they are trying to say. One has full flight now and the other flies about half. When I let my little dove out to fly in the living room, I let the finches fly too. They trust me enough now, that I can just walk over to them and pick them up. I can't wait until they fly to me like my dove does.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
OMG! You have really had some stress! So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he is OK!
You are a good daddy! I am so glad your little guy is home and he continues to improve! We would love for you to stay in touch!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
i am so glad your bird is home a is his sister. hopefully both your birdd and your brother will be allright i will pray for both of them Alison and sweetie pie:D

OP
F

FinchPapa

May 24, 2012
Friends,

I debated posting this but I did not want to break my word on the post I promised at the end.

My Boy needed to be taken in this evening because he had moved to bottom of the cage. I got a call at 11p that he had succumbed to a blood infection. I have been grieving for a few hours and perhaps this post will help by sharing with other bird lovers.

Sometimes we do our best and it is not enough.

You are your feathered friend's guardian and hero. Remember that they are a blessing and never take them for granted.

With a heavy heart, I thank you all for the support.

Robert

:(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=-agiNrI2FYc"]Fantastical Finches - YouTube[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAw9k-eGhUk"]Big SPIRIT, Little Finch Boy RIP - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I am so sorry for your loss... :(

I found your writing extremely good... If you have not already utilised that talent, you should... :)

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Oh my! I am so very sorry! You are a good daddy. You did everything you could for your baby. He knows you loved him. Keep his happy memories in your heart.
Wings high little one, fly free.

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
My deepest sympathies on your loss. I'm a huge animal lover and when I lose one of my babies I find comfort in knowing that even though they take a piece of my heart when they go, they leave a piece of their's to replace it. They are always with us in our hearts.
I'm a supporter of the Sea Shepherd and follow on Facebook. Was thrilled that this year they were able to keep the Japanese fleet running so much minimal hunting was done. Keep up the fight..be safe!

Most Reactions

Latest posts