Hi fellow members

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Welcome to the forum, Jimmy!!! Your lovebirds are beautiful!!!! Nice cage too!!! Can't wait to see it filled with toys!

You might want to remove that nest box though (at least I think that's what it looks like) unless you want babies lol

not sure if theirs a female there... but yea i wanted babies ASAP.... i heard babies are easy to tame.... with my situation got kids that always run around... the 2 adult one always seems get scared a lot.... making them to get comfortable will be hard

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I hear you! I have a 2 year old who is always running around, throwing stuff, banging stuff, screeching, squealing- you name it! Lol

If your lovies are fairly new to your home, it could just take some more time for them to adjust to the busy-ness of your household [emoji4]. I would also encourage you to spend as much time with them as you can- because even if they were babies, you'd still have to spend quite a fair amount of time with them to get them to be socialized how you'd like them to be.

Where is their cage located? That could also make a difference- maybe the current location is too busy for them, maybe an area with less foot traffic?

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
I hear you! I have a 2 year old who is always running around, throwing stuff, banging stuff, screeching, squealing- you name it! Lol

If your lovies are fairly new to your home, it could just take some more time for them to adjust to the busy-ness of your household [emoji4]. I would also encourage you to spend as much time with them as you can- because even if they were babies, you'd still have to spend quite a fair amount of time with them to get them to be socialized how you'd like them to be.

Where is their cage located? That could also make a difference- maybe the current location is too busy for them, maybe an area with less foot traffic?

first it was located in the toy room place,,,, but i was like damn I'm dumb... so i relocated it in the study room... less foot sound but still kids go there and sometimes round around.... but i think its rally the best place in out apartment.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Beautiful birds! The one is such a bright pretty yellow-green! Welcome to the forum.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!!

Unless you understand the meaning of breeding, please do not attempt it! There's a possibility where you might have to take over to hand feed. There might be complications and such. There's ways to sex them depending on their age. So I would really advice you to remove the nest box for the time being until you understand how to breed. It is a full time commitment just so that you know....

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Welcome to the forum!!!

Unless you understand the meaning of breeding, please do not attempt it! There's a possibility where you might have to take over to hand feed. There might be complications and such. There's ways to sex them depending on their age. So I would really advice you to remove the nest box for the time being until you understand how to breed. It is a full time commitment just so that you know....

i used to have lots off parakeets back in philippines but only difference is they are not tamed ... it started with just a pair and they nest made eggs and those grew up and made eggs until it end up with like 30 something birds... so i end up asking my uncle to make me a walk in cage.... i have a soft hands so i think I'm capable of hand feeding thats why i would like to give it a try.... but yea i remove the nest box since I'm still doing research and they just always hide still not used to me

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Hand feeding have nothing to do with soft hands. Just one little mistake can cause a baby's life. There's temperature issue, types of syringes, formula/formula temperature/thickness to make the formula, the technique to hand feed, cleanliness, times to feed, amount to feed, crop sac needs to be fully emptied before feeding, etc. There's many issues you may encounter such as crop burn, crop stasis, yeast infection, etc. So there's many things involved! I've been doing it for over 17 years.

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Hand feeding have nothing to do with soft hands. Just one little mistake can cause a baby's life. There's temperature issue, types of syringes, formula/formula temperature/thickness to make the formula, the technique to hand feed, cleanliness, times to feed, amount to feed, crop sac needs to be fully emptied before feeding, etc. There's many issues you may encounter such as crop burn, crop stasis, yeast infection, etc. So there's many things involved! I've been doing it for over 17 years.

I see.... thanks for making it clear... mentioning those will make my research more easier :)

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank
Re: Time to tame?

Any idea whats a good type of pellet to start with my lovebirds?

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.

Some use Kaytee's, but I personally use Harrison's High Potency Fine. Harrison's is organic, and it has a lot of nutrients. If you can't find Harrison's, Kaytee's is fine as well.

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank

Some use Kaytee's, but I personally use Harrison's High Potency Fine. Harrison's is organic, and it has a lot of nutrients. If you can't find Harrison's, Kaytee's is fine as well.

Harrison it is.. thanks

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank

Does mixing it with tamed parakeets and tamed love birds will make it easy for the others to also be tamed?

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.

Not necessarily. Lovebirds and parakeets probably won't get along. Parakeets are more docile, and lovebirds can be aggressive, especially since they love being the center(s) of attention.

Lovebirds may not always get along either. They might, but it's always better to get lovebirds that are already bonded. That doesn't mean lovebirds will never get along, but it might not be worth the risk. Interaction may lead to attacks.

Overall, if you are able to monitor the birds closely, perhaps tamed lovebirds will help tamed lovebirds, but tamed parakeets may not help lovebirds or vice versa.

OP
thelittleone

thelittleone

May 1, 2014
DFW, Texas
Parrots
Son Conure - Frank

Not necessarily. Lovebirds and parakeets probably won't get along. Parakeets are more docile, and lovebirds can be aggressive, especially since they love being the center(s) of attention.

Lovebirds may not always get along either. They might, but it's always better to get lovebirds that are already bonded. That doesn't mean lovebirds will never get along, but it might not be worth the risk. Interaction may lead to attacks.

Overall, if you are able to monitor the birds closely, perhaps tamed lovebirds will help tamed lovebirds, but tamed parakeets may not help lovebirds or vice versa.

ok thanks for the info

Most Reactions

Latest posts