Hi, I am new here...

Amymomto3

Jul 6, 2010
Wisconsin
My name is Amy, I don't own any parrots yet, but I am getting ready to purchase a Quaker Parrot. I have a few different ones that I am looking at, and I am very excited!
I have a few questions, and I am hoping I can get some helpful tips from being a member here.
About me, I am a mom to 3 kids, two boys and a girl ages 13 - 9. We live in Southern Wisconsin. I am married, almost 20 years now. We have a beautiful Black Lab, his name is Capone, he is 8 1/2 yrs old. We also have a tabby cat - orange, named Copper, a Beardie named Akon, (he is my oldest sons pet) 2 frogs (my other sons pets) 2 hamsters ( my daughters pets) and a couple clownfish (my husbands fish). My husband works full time, I work mostly part time, occasionally full time, my hours vary sometimes depending on work load.
So, that is pretty much it for me....
About the Quakers... I have a really important question that I would like some answers on. I found this person that breeds them, he has some babies that are about 4 months old, maybe a little older. He just separated them from the parents yesterday. They have had no human contact what so ever since they have been born. He says he will start handling them now...He keeps the parents outside in a big cage during the summer, so that is where the babies have been too. Now he is bringing them inside. He says that the babies will warm up to people in just a matter of time and make great pets, but I am a little skeptical...Is 4 months a little long for them to be with their parents and no human interaction? Can they still make really great pets? I want a Quaker that is going to bond with me and my family, that I will be able to work with and teach. What do you think? I really need some feedback. Thank you.

It is great to be on this forum, I do have some experience with birds, so hopefully I can be helpful to others also.
Thanks again,
Amy :)

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Hi there, welcome to the forum! You really will love it here, its such a great community. You have a rather large herd of animals and people there, sounds like a lot of fun ;)

Glad to hear you are preparing for a quaker, I read they make wonderful pets. I don't have much knowledge on breeding and such, but 4 months does sound quite long. I recieved my tiel at 6 weeks and my eclectus at 3 months. I'm sure it will still make a great pet, but maybe just take a little longer to adjust.

Anyway, welcome to you and your family, sorry I can't be of much help on this topic, I'm sure someone who can will chime in soon

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have quite the busy household :)

I have heard quakers make wonderful companions. Thet seem to be such silly little birds lol

I have no doubt, with some patience and time, that a 6 month old "bird raised" parrot can become a wonderful fid. However it may take more work than a hand-fed parrot.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you luck :)

And another welcome to the forum, lots of info, advice and amazing people:D:grey::orange::rainbow1::blue2::yellow2:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi Amy, welcome, grab your ticket and enjoy the ride :)
Awesome members, fantastic posts, so much to learn and share with one another.
Found this great link, answering all the question when looking at getting a Quacker
Quaker Parrots Information Site and Forum | QuakerParrots.com
Good luck, enjoy your stay
Ps...... it's going to be a long long journey LoL

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hi Amy, welcome to the forum, Im hoping there was some miscommunication on the timeline between you and the breeder,Quakers, or Munk Parakeets fledge at about 6-8 weeks and are fully weaned at about 8-10 weeks, 4 months is 16 weeks, way past the time you would ever need to be handfeeding, with no human interaction in 4 months, what you would then have is a totally wild bird, if he claims that they tame down and would make really good pets at that point I would say look for another breeder...........Good Luck :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find everything you need here.

I have to agree that 4 months sounds like a long time. The breeder we've gotten 2 of our birds from, pulls them at about 4 weeks, I think. In fact, my CAG came home at just under 4 months old. I'd hate the think of taming her from scratch now.

OP
A

Amymomto3

Jul 6, 2010
Wisconsin
Thank you everyone for all your warm hello's and advice! I had the same feeling about the Quaker Parrots actually, but I wanted some other input also. My husband thought they sounded like a great idea, but that was only because the price was so low. Our local family owned pet store has some baby quakers in, they don't normally carry them, but ordered 3 because they had a worker that wanted one, and had someone else inquire about them. They have been very well taken care of, hand fed, interacted with every day, and very healthy looking. They are twice the price though. I talked with the pet store and they said they would work with me and let me make payments though. So, I think I might go that route. We buy everything from this pet store, it is only a few blocks from our house.
Thanks again for all the advice and comments, I really do appreciate them.
Amy

Most Reactions