Hi New here

mariya.jawaid

Apr 15, 2016
Parrots
currently own a baby 11 month old yellow ringneck
Hiya everyone! I'm probably going to get a parrot soon and I know they can be absolutely lovely. I'd like some info on whether I should get a quaker or a green cheek conure.:green2::blue2:. Anyways I'd like some info on what would best suit this personality: Cuddly, sweet, not bitey, a few words of vocab but not a must, not that noisy a bit is fine, a lifetime companion, a bird that would like to sit on my finger, shoulder etc, and who would bond with me dearly.I've looked into a cockatiel but they have dander like a lot, i understand all birds have dander but some have less than others. I have researched a lot and am looking forward to buy something buy the start of MAY. Cage sizes would be nice and thanks for you help.

P.S Sorry for all the questions but i came here for personal experiences and people with knowledge about these birds as not all websites give that. Hope you and your bird have a splendid day!!!!!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi welcome to the forums.

Check out each section . There is a lot of information. Not sure what bird would have all those qualities.

Have you looked at the Budgie section ?

Personally if it were a friend of mine that would be the section I would send them to read first. That and I love the little guys .

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Happy to have you join us!

I agree with Christine, you should research budgies, they are great little parrots, sweet, playful, entertaining and some of them have huge vocabularies.

If you are set on a quaker or a GCC then I would suggest a GCC if you are looking for a parrot likely to be snuggly. There's never a guarantee any parrot will talk or be particularly affectionate but of the two species, a GCC may have more potential to be a hands on companion. Quakers have their own wonderful qualities, they have an incredible talent for speaking in context and mimicking noises, they tend to bond deeply and they can be very sweet when they choose to be. They can be nippy, especially when hormones kick in. As with any parrot, bite pressure training makes all the difference.

My personal experience with GCC's is very limited but we have a great group of GCC parents, hopefully they will chime in.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hello, and welcome! There are never too many questions to consider when choosing your first bird! Many folks have joined the forum for this reason and are thrilled to share.

Do you live in an area with many pet shops, breeders, and parrot rescues? There is no complete substitute for being able to observe and interact with a variety of species.

10i

Apr 13, 2016
Hi and welcome. I also think you should try to spend some time with different kinds of birds.

Are you home a lot? I am asking as certain birds get very lonely alone, in my experience. There is always a lot to consider. I love my cockatiel, dander and all. Peaches like pressing with her tongue on my tablet screen and choosing what we watch on YouTube.

Dont rush your purchase.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi! Welcome to the forum :).

Not bitey? Hm, even well trained "non-bitey" parrots will bite at times. Even if rarely, over the years you WILL get bit. Even when they're bonded and tame, it is just not the same as a domesticated animal like a dog. There is no excuse for a pet dog to bite a human, but with non-domestic exotic pets like parrots, it'll happen :). Budgies are great like people said, and if they bite, compared to other parrots it's "nothing". If you want something a bit bigger, take your time and explore all the opportunites and see different kinds of birds. A GCC or Quaker like you said, might be great, but there are so many other species of parrots out there as well. Good luck.

OP
mariya.jawaid

mariya.jawaid

Apr 15, 2016
Parrots
currently own a baby 11 month old yellow ringneck
Hi thanks for the info everyone and i know even the most tame birds bite , it can be for any reason, from irration too super excited :green1:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome to the forum!
We have a GCC, and while he can be cuddly, he is just as likely to bite, sometimes during cuddling.
I completely agree with spending time with different species, that should help you to decide on who is a good fit.
I have to say that we have a Bourke's who is an amazing guy. He will not talk, but he does snuggle, and he hasn't bitten us to where we could even feel it. He is a great little guy:)

Most Reactions