Hi! New lovie here ♥

bonbon_182

Jun 23, 2013
So we were in Panama City last week and my husband got me a lovebird, first ever bird I have ever owned or been around. I just seen him and fell in love with him!
The first night we had him we reached his cage and he flipped out, made me sad. So I searched the net on how to approach him, and we waited to get him back out till we got home. I have been opening the cage and letting him come out which he is doing great with. He still will not let my hands get near him. Once he is out of the cage I can say step up up on a wood perch and he does it everytime and lets me get him near me but not too close. We have only had him a week so I think the progress is going great. BUT how do I get him to let me pet him and stuff? Will that just develop over time? And can you tell if he has had his first molt yet or if he is still young?
Here is a pic of him, we named him Ocean ♥

And he likes his bath too

And here are my furbabies too

Thanks for looking and can't wait to get more info...
Bonnie :orange:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum!!!! Cute looking babies you've got there!!!

It will just take some time for your Lovie to get used to you. He's a peacefaced lovebird and no he's not a baby. But may still be rather young. Keep getting him on the perch and go from there. Once he's used to you, then try to bring him closer on the perch and bribe him with treats. Little bit at a time!!! :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Awwwww, he is beautiful. Peach Faced Lovebirds are one of my favorite birds of all time. Follow what Mikey said and give it plenty of time. The more time you spend with your bird the more the bird will get used to you.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
time, time, and more time, plus patience :D sounds like you are on the right track so far, so keep working with what you are doing! in time he may allow you to pet him.

i would like to add a few things though.

i would remove the sandpaper covers off his perches. they can cause foot sores and other problems such as infection (they harbour bacteria). i know most pet stores still sell them, but they are kind of useless for trimming nails as well.

i'd add in some rope perches and natural branches and replace the plastic perches as plastic perches can be really hard on the feet.

and lastly, he is an adorable little guy who looks like he is going to be very happy in his new home!!!

and your three doggies are adorable too, love the little shirt!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
congrats Lovebird are the best!! Your little guy is so pretty! Looks like an adult for sure Normal Peach Face. Just give it time lovebirds take some time to warm up to people he will let you pet him eventually just keep hanging out with him and let him sit on you and watch your hands move by him but not towards him. They are amazing bundles of fun in those tiny bodies! And definitely remove the plastic perches they arent goof for their feet get some natural wood perches and if you want a sandlike perch get a Sandy Perch with only gritty stuff on the sides so their feet dont get sore. Good luck!

OP
B

bonbon_182

Jun 23, 2013
Thank you soooo much! I will definitely go and get the things you guys suggested! I already love this lil guy sooo much lol! I hope he lives a longgggg time! :orange:

Most Reactions