Hi, new member

JaxandRoxie

Jan 10, 2018
Hi, I am new here, and I have just rescued....(not really rescued, as they came from a good home) two conures. I was told one is male the other is female, although I have no paper work. I also was told they are greencheeks, one of which was classified as “fancy”. I could find no pictures on the internet of the so called fancy Greencheek. This particular bird has no red tail feathers. Upon some more research I have figured out that this bird is actually a black capped conure. They are 6 years and 8 years, and have been togeather since they were in the pet shop they were purchased from. They are a bit....ok, more than a bit to be honest, nippy. They were not handled in their previous home, which they lived for 4 years. Their life before that I am unsure of. I will have TONS of questions in the near future I am sure of that😊

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums. Thank-you, for bring these Conures into your home.

Take the time to visit the Conure Forum and read it with depth.

Sadly, what prior owners say about their Parrots is rarely true.

Look forward to your questions.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! I'd love to see pictures of your new family members!
What are their names?
I'm really glad you joined us, lots of conure lovers here:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome! I’m glad you adopted these two conures and do hope you’ll share some pictures with us - we love pics!

I agree with previous posts - it’s hard to get accurate info from prior owners (and I also think it’s tough for birds to behave exactly the same in a new environment). If you take a browse through the conure forum, you might find one or two threads about “nippy” behavior (it comes up on occasion lol). Ask lots of questions, there’s lots of experts with great information on here.

I have two conures that came from other homes as well, and I can absolutely sympathize with having sore fingers :). With patience we were able to work through the bitey phase and now mine are mostly playful and affectionate - and we only have rare bites now. I’m sure you’ll be able to work through the nippiness with time!

Most Reactions