Hi!

brian5470

Aug 14, 2014
Hi there! Looks like a gret forum here!

I have adopted a rescue Tucuman Amazon from my neighbor who told us she got it from a rescue. She said the rescue people were afraid of him and that they just left him in the a cage. She said they told her he was cut out of a glue trap somewhere so one of his wings was cut really short and she said his nails were like corkscrews because they were afraid of him. She said she kept asking about him and they grabbed him with a towel shoved him in a cat carrier and said there you find him a home.
She took him to the vet and had his nails clipped and checked and supposedly DNA sexed and had him with her birds for a couple weeks. She has two Orange Wing Amazons that are boy and girl and bonded so JJ my Tucuman didn't fit in well. So we ended up with him.
He was a little bit fierce the first couple days but seemed to like me really better than anyone and has gotten alot better he will step up when he wants to and let me rub scratch his neck and head for an hour some times.
So that's my story of how I have become a new bird owner, lol kinda long I guess!

Thanks for having me here!

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Congratulations on your new family member! It's a good sign that you can already touch him. Welcome to the flock!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the forum. What does his band say?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking on a "troubled" bird! Caught in a GLUE TRAP?! Poor JJ:( I bet with dedication and patience he will blossom into a wonderful bird in your care:) Amazons are tough birds. They may make you earn their trust if they've been abused, but they're mentally strong and have a huge capacity for love. Smart too. Sounds like you've already made some positive progress if he's stepping up and allowing scratches. We'd love to see some pics if you can:) Hope to see you around. Lots of zon owners on here to share with and learn from!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello there and welcome to you and JJ. Poor guy, being caught in a glue trap is enough to put anyone in a defensive mood. Bet he appreciated the nail trim. You must have made a good impression if JJ's already stepping up and letting you give him skritches. I'm so glad he found you. Good luck to both of you. We'd love to see photos of your new companion.

OP
B

brian5470

Aug 14, 2014
Here are a couple pics of the little guy!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Attachments

• JJfeed.jpg
    JJfeed.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 46
  • jjoneleg.jpg
    jjoneleg.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 49

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Aww, JJ is really a cute bird! :) I love his little face.

I remember there used to be a lot of Tucumans around, and they aren't any more. Maybe there were more when they used to do wild caughts.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
What a great looking bird! I am so glad he has a good home now. That glue trap story breaks my heart. Those things can be monstrous. I used to use them outside but I stopped after finding a lizard in one. And that glue is nearly impossible to get off!
So very good of you to adopt JJ :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
What an adorable little guy you have there!

Most Reactions