Jun 7, 2012
Media
Scranton PA
Parrots
Darwin- Male Ekkie
Charlie- Cinnamon GCC
Twiggy- Cockatiel
RIP Paco, Jack, and Echo </3
How can I keep my PVC t-stand from falling part? I'm guessing gluing it would be dangerous to the birds. Any ideas?

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
I believe they have PVC glue that isn't toxic once it's dried, but I could be wrong. I hope you find something!

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
I use jute to lock the cap pieces on the cross piece on my "T" perch just drape the end over the pipe and press on the cap holds like a charm and comes off with twisting motion.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
If that doesn't work you can screw them together but you have to be careful because it can weaken the PVC.

wildwest

Feb 1, 2012
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Senegal
Green Parakeet
since you are not glueing it to hold pressure, you can just use a dab at the end, so when you insert the pipe into the T the glue is all the way inside.

the glue does not expand so there should be no chance at all for the bird to get any contact with it.

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
I made a play gym from PVC and just tapped it together. The fittings fit very tight.

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
PVC glue is a solvent. I would not recommend its use on any toy for a bird.

We had made PVC perches until reading some of the studies on PVC pipe.

Houston SPCA

We're not willing to take a chance using things made from chemicals.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
That looks alarmist to me. They say PVC is made from dangerous chemicals. Heck, plain old salt is a compound, sodium chloride, of two highly toxic chemicals, sodium and chlorine.

The water you drink and give your bird probably comes through PVC pipes. You can bet the plumbers don't get overly excited about a little solvent on the inside, either. Copper water pipe is held together with a nasty flux-cleaned lead-tin solder. Where do you stop?

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
That looks alarmist to me. They say PVC is made from dangerous chemicals. Heck, plain old salt is a compound, sodium chloride, of two highly toxic chemicals, sodium and chlorine.

The water you drink and give your bird probably comes through PVC pipes. You can bet the plumbers don't get overly excited about a little solvent on the inside, either. Copper water pipe is held together with a nasty flux-cleaned lead-tin solder. Where do you stop?

I agree the world is full of items and materials that may or may not cause problems over long periods of time.

It's only after long periods of time that the problems are discovered in some materials. Asbestos, lead based paint, Teflon pans, the list is long.

I would not give my bird salt, but I do use it. I would not let him chew on a copper pipe but it does conduct the flow of water through our house. Our water is filtered or bottled depending on the use.

PVC may be OK for small birds but knowing how Mac, a B&G Macaw, chews and seeing what he can do to items that are pretty safe (stainless steel, wood etc) I closely monitor him when he is near things that could be potentially hazardous.

His playstand is PVC based but the fittings are bolted with stainless steel. The PVC is wrapped in sisal and superior cotton rope. The few fittings that are exposed do not lend themselves to his chewing attacks and are inspected daily for chewing damage.

I feel part of the problem with PVC may not necessarily be toxicity so much as it is not digestible and could cause an impaction.

In the end, each person has to make a decision on what is safe for their FID's and deal with the outcome. I would rather err on the side of caution and not find out the hard way I was wrong.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
are you making it out of pvc for weight and transportability i suppose?
because i just get wooden branches and bolt them with SS bolts. Its much more straightforward and sturdy in my mind. :)

Although... i am making an 'atom' at the moment, out of garden hose and connectors which ram inside the tubes. and i was just going to either screw them, or put ...umm... those circle things that you can tighten around the joints... i forget what they are called. basically a loop that can thread through a screwy end and you tighten the screw and the loop becomes smaller and smaller...?

but i was only considering them as it will be covered in rope and inaccessible (because i don't think they are made with safe metals).

sorry i wasn't much help. but i think if you don't let it ooze outside the T-joint glue should be okay: with a little discretion put on keeping an eye on whether they do in fact chew and break it. in which case i would remove it anyway because broken plastic can be sharp. :)

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
are you making it out of pvc for weight and transportability i suppose?
because i just get wooden branches and bolt them with SS bolts. Its much more straightforward and sturdy in my mind. :)

...umm... those circle things that you can tighten around the joints... i forget what they are called. basically a loop that can thread through a screwy end and you tighten the screw and the loop becomes smaller and smaller...?

but i was only considering them as it will be covered in rope and inaccessible (because i don't think they are made with safe metals).

sorry i wasn't much help. but i think if you don't let it ooze outside the T-joint glue should be okay: with a little discretion put on keeping an eye on whether they do in fact chew and break it. in which case i would remove it anyway because broken plastic can be sharp. :)

The item you are thinking of is a hose clamp. They are available in stainless steel.

Most Reactions