Home Painting and small remodeling.. Will it hurt my birds?

FairyFireFly

Feb 25, 2011
Houston Tx
Parrots
Kirby Quaker Parrot &
Deacon Blue Front Amazon
So next week we are having our interior walls painted in the living room as well as our bathroom completely remodeled.

Will any of the paint or any other potential chemicals hurt my babies from the fumes?
If so what could I do to better protect them?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
personally i would consider anything that gives off a fume as bad, move bird away and into a well ventilated area, where the fumes from paint or dust from re modeling does not travel to

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
paint fumes can be toxic (even to humans, and birds have much more sensetive lungs), I would do everything in my power to isolate the birds from the fumes, I might even go so far as to move them out of the house for a few days until the fumes dissipate. Do you have a friend or relative who's house the birds coud stay at while the paint cures?

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
I agree with trying to find someone who could look after them, I personally would get them out of the house so as to not leave anything to chance.

Peanut

Feb 19, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
Board them for a couple of days or use NO voc paints. We used the low voc paint and our birdie was just fine. We also remodeled her room in the summer and were able to keep the windows open all day and night, but the low voc paints worked out very well for the humans and the blue and gold macaw :) We also had new carpet installed in the entire house 2 days before the bird came and aired it out. The bird was fine.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I just mentioned this few days ago. Low voc paint is the way to go. Dry wall dust is bad for them too, make sure you have them as far away from it as possible. Good luck!

Most Reactions