Hossinn & Family

Hossinn

Jun 3, 2017
Oak View, CA
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hello,

I'm Hossinn and I have a wife, Wenke and two kids, Quin (11) and Melina (8). Please wish us luck as we are adopting an 18 month old Indian Ring Neck today:)

Melina has been really wanting a pet for the past year or so but it just was NOT happening. Since our cat passed away a few years ago, Wenke and I were pretty committed to going pet free. Part of the reason was that "Kitty" was not a very fun cat (we think her neurotic behavior stemmed from being de-clawed by her original owners) and Quin was extremely allergic to cats and dogs (we didn't know this of course until after a few years of his birth). Without Melina knowing, we recently began exploring "pets", ranging from rodents to birds, and eventually settled on a bird being something we would take on as a new pet. We certainly considered an easier bird, such as a cocatiel, and went to the local bird store to interact with one, however, we came upon a beautiful IRN named "Neela" (Hindi for "blue") that needed a new home.

Neela's owner recently bought a dog to run with/protect his wife during her early morning distance running, and thought he could get Neela and their new Rottweiler to be comfortable with one another. Unfortunately, that was not the case and the dog "went after" the bird a couple times. For Neela's safety they put his cage in a large spare room at the house and he was required to stay in that room, unless the dog was outside. Needless to say, Neela didn't like this new arrangement, after having relatively free rein of the house for all of his previous life, and his owner decided to seek out a good family to adopt him and give him the love he deserves.

Knowing that beauty is not the MOST important factor to consider in a bird adoption (we think Neela is absolutely beautiful), we visited Neela to check its personality and behavior with visitors. It ended up being very sweet, and willing to step up to all of our fingers. The owner appeared to be a good person, who genuinely wants to find the right fit for Neela. He mentioned on the phone, and in person, that if it isn't working out he will be happy to take Neela back (an offer we appreciate, however, have no intention of accepting). After going home to process our visit and make sure everyone was on-board we decided to take the next step and adopt Neela.

We're picking Neela up this morning and I'm anxious/nervous about everything going "right". He needs his wings clipped (we've decided to clip his wings rather than let him be free flighted), so we're going to take him from his previous home straight to the bird shop, as opposed to taking him through the trauma of going to a new home, THEN having to potentially cause more trauma by getting back in the car later to go get a haircut. Neela will be in a new home, with a new cage, and new humans in its life...I'm assuming he will experience some level of sadness and shock, so we will be taking it very slow in an effort to give us all the best opportunity to build a loving relationship.

It's nice to be here. Please wish us luck!

Hossinn & Family

Attachments

• Neela.jpg
    Neela.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you and your family have really prepared to give Neela a wonderful home. He is indeed very pretty. Please keep us updated on how he settles in.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Hossinn! Thanks for a wonderful introduction, seems you have taken great care prior to adopting Neela. While wing clipping is a personal choice, the logic of doing so prior to arriving home is flawless. I'd also recommend a well-check with an avian certified vet when able.

Other members with IRN experience can clarify, but many birds produce a dander that can potentially aggravate Quin's allergies. Cockatoos are among the worst, but I've never lived with an IRN!

Neela is a beauty, please update his progress and any questions as you settle in. You may find the following links helpful:

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/449-toxic-list-our-birds.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Welcome! Neela is stunning, and while "Blue" would be a very boring name, Neela is not boring at all - very pretty [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
My 'tiel produces so much more dander then my IRN's combined - she's a dusty wee thing! I think, if you stay on top of cage paper changes etc you should be okay :)

Both of my ringnecks came from homes where they had been well cared for. Henry was handreared, eight months old in an an automotive mechanics classroom each day. He was sold to me because he belonged to the daughter who got an unexpected university scholarship, and so the father had taken him on. The father was rather concerned at the language being used in the classroom, and Henry was proving to be an apt mimicer. Given I work from home with a variety of community kids, thankfully his language is still clean!

Clarke came to us at 6 months, well cared for but with a fear of hands. His(?) owner had developed a fear of him and him of her.

With both birds, we found that the that they were highly inquisitive and eager to not be cage bound. We gave them a day of doors closed but then left them open to explore. They appreciated the children/music/tv around them and a higher level of interaction then I thought they would.

Not all IRN's are the same and these are just two annecdotal examples, but if he seems interested in you after the kids are in bed, don't be afraid to offer him the chance to come and watch some telly with you and your wife, for example. He might be bolder than you think in this situation :)

ETA: I'm not anti clipping - I've done both, situationally dependent. If Neela hasn't been clipped before, however, that lack of balance/change might be what prevents her from being able to settle in her new environment/makes her cautious/anxious. Still gotta be your call, and as I said, I've clipped and do clip in some situations depending of the flock/household dynamics, but I do notice the character/psychological impact in doing so.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hossinn

Jun 3, 2017
Oak View, CA
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck

Most Reactions

Latest posts