Housing and dander

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I have two questions and I really didn't want to start two threads, so I thought I could handle this in one shot. As many of you know about the deal with the sun conure, my mom said I can't have one. We had a heated argument and we came to the conclusion that they have to stay in one cage. I was COMPLETLY mad and made points that two species can't live together . Then I remembered that they have giant cages with dividers. So on one side I could have my two budgies, and on the other the sun . Now I was wondering whether it would work. I don't want a grill divider, since they could nip at toes so I thought I could get a solid one. Would this work ? This is the cage.

BIRDCAGES4LESS.com: Double Tiki Treehouse™

The other one is, is that my mom is pregnant . I know how much mess the birds make, and that she says that the dander is bad for and the baby so she wants the fids moved upstairs . Well , i have no problems with them in my room. But I really want to know , is it really that dangerous ? I asked my mom to ask her docter, but she forgot. And if it is dangerous, at which stage of the baby's development would u be allowed to move the cage back downstairs ?

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
that cage should be fine. As for the dander I don't think its a huge problem I'm not a doctor but my mother has had 4 kids after me and every single time there were birds in the house and the babies were around them and in the same room sometimes with two parakeets and one sun conure I don't think there would be enough dander to hurt the baby so long as its not in the babys bedroom.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My brother will tell you that BIRDS BRING DISEASE AND WILL EVERYONE SICK OMG. Yeah, because of him I can no longer take Rosie down stairs into the living room!!! That's one reason why I was allowed to get her an outside cage.

Honestly, unless you mom is playing in their poop I really don't see any danger. For the dander/dust to effect someone badly it takes years, and also bad un clean condition's. If your mom is worried she should get a air purifier

OP
Birdlover11

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Thanks ! I just encountered a problem. I can't find any solid dividers sold separately . Is there any way I can make my own ?

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
you could cut plexiglass to size and put little holes in the top and put wire through the holes to attach it to the cage bars.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Just have a piece of plexi glass cut for you, measure the dimensions(including how thick you want it) of the original divider so it will slide in the same.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Rather than the double wide, why not a double stack?

I think this would appease both you and your mother much better...

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Double-Stack-Flight-Cage-Color/dp/B00494S0W8/]Amazon.com: Double Stack Flight Bird Cage Color: Pure White: Pet Supplies[/ame] / [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Double-Stack-Flight-Cage-Color/dp/B00494U0VW/]Amazon.com: Double Stack Flight Bird Cage Color: Sandstone: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Stackable-Flight-BREEDER-32x21x60/dp/B00BUIOFPC/]Amazon.com: KING'S CAGES ELFDD 3221 Economy Line Stackable Flight Cage DOUBLE STACK BREEDER FLIGHT PARROT CAGE 32x21x60 bird toy toys cages (BLUE): Pet Supplies[/ame]

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
First, I like the doublewide flight cage very much. I have had that exact same cage for several years with lineolated parakeets in one side and budgies in the other. They DO argue through the divider & a very smart rescue lady said that I should just get a piece of cardboard to make a solid divider (that doubles as a chew toy & is cheap & easily replaceable!). I do not like the top-and-bottom double cages because many birds do not feel safe in the lower cage & I want my birds happy & stressfree.

As for the dander, it doesn't matter whether your mother is right or wrong about it, it matters that it is important to her. And the problem is that anyone can develop sensitivity to bird dander at any point in time. It is not fair to cause your mother worry about whether you or the baby might develop a sensitivity because it would be even more awful if she had to tell you to get rid of the birds, after you already loved them.

Here's my suggestion:

Look into an air filter.

The really good ones are also really expensive, but there are reasonably priced room-sized ones in most stores like Walmart & online & you can help take away that worry by running the filter. And clean the mess every day, to keep the peace.

Enjoy your birds!

Most Reactions