How can I fix this?

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Well me and Echo have been working on step up and Ive had 4 successful ones!I even got him to go on my bed with me and play in the blankets a bit but he did end up dumping a full glass of water on my bed lol.The problem is when I have him on my arm its hard for him to keep balance.My skin and fat on my arm just slides around alot so its not the best for him to stay on.He tries to stable himself by digging his claws into my skin which I don't mind but he gets upset by it and loosens his grip.He also wants to get onto my shoulder but is it ok to let him up?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Have you tried holding Echo more on your hand instead of your arm? It's not wise to have a large parrot on your shoulder as you never know what they might do. It's an individual choice as I've see many macaw owners with their macaw on their shoulders. Not me though, Willie always wants to get on my shoulders, especially when he's scared especially out in public as he don't like going outside and I don't know why....When he went through his major hormone when he turned 10, it was a mess as he started biting pretty good during hormone season and will bite really hard and drawl blood. He bit down my arm pretty good while he was on it, imagine what would happen if he was on my shoulders. I've read stories on how they disfigure their owners and I know some of them personally as a few of them would never touch another macaw because of their trauma. But the choice is yours, if Echo tries to get on your shoulders lift your arm to make a goose head and neck shape, pretty much like a Z pattern, make him stay on your hand by making a goose head with your hand so he have better grip.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Good going BL.....a couple of things about shouldering a parrot...you have to always be aware that they're there, so you don't do something to accidentally spook them.....while I've never had a macaw, the cautions are the same, just the damage can be greater.....

I had my patty on my shoulder & we were on the front porch...an elderly neighbor fell on their porch, yelled & I snapped my head in their direction.....realizing I had Heidi on my shoulder, I ducked, but not far enough, fast enough & I got a little nip, but my ducking was to protect my eye as I would have turned right into her beak & very well could have lost an eye.....for that reason, I'm not sure I would let a large macaw on my shoulder.....I know people do & will say that as long as you're careful.....but it only takes one little mistake.....

Since he has a problem on your arms you might want to limit him to lap sitting so that he doesn't get uncomfortable & use his beak to regain purchase.....like birds do when a person whose not really sure sticks out a nervous finger or hand & the bird bites a bit to make sure they don't fall off the unsteady finger/hand.....just a thought so you don't end up with unwanted bruises...and too, continued re-bruising could lead to a skin problem.....

Yeah, I learned about water glasses near the bed a long time ago.....I had set a glass of water on the headboard shelf & dozed off.....and while I know unattended birds is a NO-NO, I wasn't planning on napping, but was reading a book & well, I guess it must have been age, but my guys were in their cages, with their doors closed, but the all can lets themselves out.....anyway one of my nandays let himself out, came looking for me, saw the glass & landed on the rim...over goes the glass & I get a rude awakening, along with a wet bed.....

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Hi Birdlover1. How old is Echo? If he is young & still learning the step up command & being held on your arm, he will be timid about it. It sounds like you have a really good relationship with Echo already, so it shouldn't take long for him to feel secure & not worry about falling off when you hold him. :D

I don't bruise easily, but I had large purple bruises on my biceps & little nip places all up & down my arms from Roscoe, my youngest Catalina when I first got him. He was 4 1/2 months old & was just trying to steady himself, not trying to be mean. He was unsure of my arm skin moving under him & he would grab hold to steady himself. He also didn't know yet how to regulate his beak pressure & would hold tighter than he needed which caused the bruising. We both survived it & he learned pretty quick he was not going to fall of & hurt himself. Now he hangs off my arm on purpose since he is the clown of the flock. :)

As far as macaws on the shoulders, I am not a fan of it for me. I don't allow mine to get on my shoulder since I cannot see what they are doing, where their beak is in reference to my ears, eyes & nose. And I can't see their eyes to know what mood they may have just decided to change to which might not be the nice mood they were in when I first took them out for interaction. As was said, it is a personal choice & I for one choose not to allow it.

My newest macaw, Ruby Jewel was apparently allowed shoulder riding by her breeder before coming home 3 weeks ago. It didn't take but a few times of gently removing her & putting her back on my arm for her to understand I did not allow it. Crooking my arm in the goose shape did not work with her. She is large enough & I am small enough that all she had to do was hop up on my shoulder anyway. Her body is longer than my upper arm length! :rolleyes:

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Allowing a bird up onto your shoulder is a personal decision. Know the consequences;)

For me, I allow all my birds to be on my shoulders. Once you know a bird well enough you don't need to look at it to know what its feeling. Its feet do the talking and how it holds itself.

But since you are new to your macaw I don't decommend it. I often hold birds on my hands not my arms.

OP
Birdlover1

Birdlover1

May 10, 2013
MaryLand
Parrots
Echo a male B&G Macaw
Hi Birdlover1. How old is Echo? If he is young & still learning the step up command & being held on your arm, he will be timid about it. It sounds like you have a really good relationship with Echo already, so it shouldn't take long for him to feel secure & not worry about falling off when you hold him. :D

I don't bruise easily, but I had large purple bruises on my biceps & little nip places all up & down my arms from Roscoe, my youngest Catalina when I first got him. He was 4 1/2 months old & was just trying to steady himself, not trying to be mean. He was unsure of my arm skin moving under him & he would grab hold to steady himself. He also didn't know yet how to regulate his beak pressure & would hold tighter than he needed which caused the bruising. We both survived it & he learned pretty quick he was not going to fall of & hurt himself. Now he hangs off my arm on purpose since he is the clown of the flock. :)

As far as macaws on the shoulders, I am not a fan of it for me. I don't allow mine to get on my shoulder since I cannot see what they are doing, where their beak is in reference to my ears, eyes & nose. And I can't see their eyes to know what mood they may have just decided to change to which might not be the nice mood they were in when I first took them out for interaction. As was said, it is a personal choice & I for one choose not to allow it.

My newest macaw, Ruby Jewel was apparently allowed shoulder riding by her breeder before coming home 3 weeks ago. It didn't take but a few times of gently removing her & putting her back on my arm for her to understand I did not allow it. Crooking my arm in the goose shape did not work with her. She is large enough & I am small enough that all she had to do was hop up on my shoulder anyway. Her body is longer than my upper arm length! :rolleyes:

He's 6 years old :) Thanks for the help everyone!

Most Reactions