How can we differentiate between congo and timneh babies ?

Fire

May 20, 2009
Hi Everyone !

I am new to the forum and already have a question posted in the conure section.

I was just wondering how someone can differentiate between congo and timneh babies ?

I know timneh are slimmer and have maroon tail and congo are a bit larger with bright red tail ( I hope I am right ), but how can we tell the difference between the two sub species when they are around 6 weeks old or above ?

And are there are any personality differences between the two ?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
You missed one other important thing with your identification checklist, and it's the easiest one and takes only a second to tell them apart.

Timnehs have a "horn" (whitish/yellow) colored beak, while Congo's beaks are black. I don't know, however, if a Congo is hatched with a black beak though (kinda like a male Eekie, has a black beak when born/hatched but slowly turns "candy corn" yellow as they grow).

This is the easiest way to differentiate your grey's at any age ... let me see if I can find some images and post 'em ...

Actually, I am not on my computer right now so it's kinda tough to post images ... but go to google and type in "Timneh African Grey" and "Congo African Grey" and pull up the images and look at the differences in the beaks ... makes it A LOT easier to tell them apart.

:50:

Last edited:
OP
F

Fire

May 20, 2009
Hey Texdot !
You are right I Missed the beak thing.

But yesterday I was looking and comparing pictures of both timneh and congo african grey babies and I did not find any difference in the beak of young babies around 6 weeks. The only difference I could see was that even the timneh babies were slimmer than congo babies.
I think this beak difference is only visible in adult greys. I am not sure though and would appreciate if someone could show me pictures of baby greys and prove me wrong .
:)

danewillow

Feb 27, 2008
Media
Ham Lake, MN
Parrots
Timneh African Grey, Yellow-naped Amazon
It's been a while since ours was a baby (5 years) but I believe our Timneh had a black beak which lightened with age. Stupid question but can't you tell by looking at the parents??

Julie

Most Reactions

Latest posts