Scared my CAG will seriously hurt himself!

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
OK so I am very worried now, my 4 month old CAG keeps randomly with no warning trying to take flight. two times today he flew into the window and banged his head. his flight feathers are clipped but he is still able to glide a fair distance. does anyone have any advice foe me, I'm very worried he will hurt himself, i cried the 2nd time he did it today as it was a hard bang and he seemed stunned. please anyone what can i do and should i be taking him to the vet.

sincerely.... April

ParrotLover

Jun 14, 2009
In warrington, chesire.
Parrots
one african grey parrot.
Hello my parrot april was like this when she was 3-5 months old, its very scary i know, we covered windows and mirrors with towels so if she went into them it didnt cause much damage if any. Also with your grey take it to where the windows are and let it touch the glass so it can feel its something it cant get through.
Try keep your grey in one room just for the flying matter and in that room make it flying friendly, maybe cover up hard objects eventually it will get used to windows.
Be careful though because one fly into the window could break your birds neck or something serious so watch out. xx
Goodluck.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
April hi ...that can be scary and eina.
ParrotLover has given great advice.
Mishka my AG was a carbon copy of your bird.
I made the room bird friendly and it worked.
Just like babies so the saying goes.
Good luck
Take care

OP
wuvzbirdies

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Hi there, he doesn't do it anymore, thankfully it was a qucik phase and he learned it hurt to do that. It was very scary though as I only had him for a couple of weeks at that point. He's almost a year old! Man do they grow up fast!!!!

justwingingit

Nov 28, 2009
Media
New Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Macaws: Hyacinth, B&G's, Greenwings, Scarlets, Blue Throated. Afr Grey, Cuban Amazon, Caiques, et al
Hi, I have CAG named Simon, who is really a girl. She is now 19 years old and such a love. She's only laid one egg in her life so far. Her favorite toy is a cardboard box. I throw small colored blocks in there and sometimes when I come into the room, I'll see her head pop out. When the box gets shredded and kind of disgusting, I put in a new one. Of course, she's like "I got it to where I like it!" I wish you long life and enjoyment with your CAG.:blue:

Most Reactions